Trethevy Quoit...Cornwall's Megalithic Masterpiece

Pages: 40 – [ Previous | 125 26 27 28 29 30 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Re: Similarities elsewhere?
Apr 02, 2013, 20:23
They don't tend to at all, all the stones apart from one lie on the ground and aren't even in stoneholes, this is also very odd as well.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Apr 02, 2013, 20:23
They don't tend to at all, all the stones apart from one lie on the ground and aren't even in stoneholes, this is also very odd as well.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Apr 02, 2013, 20:24
Fair enough. So, I take it your view is that the tomb could not have got to its present shape without a major re-structuring? That movement, shifts and collapses over millennia could not have produced the current arrangement?

I've no idea whether it could or not, but to convince me I would want that (simple) explanation reasonably discounted before looking at something much more complicated as being the only 'correct' answer.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Apr 02, 2013, 20:27
I'll be honest, it would never have occurred to me from any of the pictures of that side (and there are quite a lot on TMA) that those two stones look wrong. Obviously that's only based on looking at pictures, as you say.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Apr 02, 2013, 20:33
thesweetcheat wrote:
I'll be honest, it would never have occurred to me from any of the pictures of that side (and there are quite a lot on TMA) that those two stones look wrong. Obviously that's only based on looking at pictures, as you say.

Get that and Duloe on your to do list, like i said it's easy from St cleer to Duloe as well, then see what you think, and remember to look at how the stones rest on the ground.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6213 posts

Apr 02, 2013, 20:34
I shall, although St Cleer is a long way from Cheltenham at current train prices.
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Apr 02, 2013, 20:40
thesweetcheat wrote:
Nice word. But everyone noticed AK doing that, no-one seems to have noticed a 19th century rebuild of Trethevy.

I think a 19th century rebuild is unlikely unless they did a much better job than elsewhere down south. Three Shires stones near Bath and The Hellstone in Dorset spring to mind...
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Apr 02, 2013, 20:44
thesweetcheat wrote:
Fair enough. So, I take it your view is that the tomb could not have got to its present shape without a major re-structuring? That movement, shifts and collapses over millennia could not have produced the current arrangement?

I've no idea whether it could or not, but to convince me I would want that (simple) explanation reasonably discounted before looking at something much more complicated as being the only 'correct' answer.

A small question/observation.
Take a look at the Northern flankers, in particular the forward (Eastern one), do you not think it's in an odd position ?

Now let's say you move it to the position currently taken by the rear (Western) flanker, and then consider structure and aesthetics.

I addressed this previously so it's not giving anything away in regards to the book.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Apr 02, 2013, 20:46
bloody hell i thought you liked walking, it would only take a few weeks? :oD prices for everything are going up and up but a least capitalism is about to pop, so that's great news though, it's the sunshine at the end of the tunnel.
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Re: For the record.
Apr 02, 2013, 20:50
And not to blemish CE's thread further, i'd just like to say i haven't received a free copy of Roys book. :)
Pages: 40 – [ Previous | 125 26 27 28 29 30 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index