Pages: 77 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: The Stukeley Line
Jan 20, 2013, 15:25
Rhiannon wrote:
I agree, you learn through gradual improvements and discoveries into the future, but you don't have to use something as unique as avebury as your guinea pig? You do stuff in the lab, or you use a ploughed down round barrow or something about to be built on, if you're going to do something that destroys the very thing you're looking at. If you come up with non-destructive techniques it doesn't matter where you're practising / developing them. But if you're going to use destructive techniques (ie hoiking stones out of the ground) then you're not going to be able to use non-destructive methods afterwards, because there's nothing left to use them on.

I understand your point Rhiannon but remember that 'most' of the missing stones at Avebury have been buried purposely which meant digging a hole somewhat larger than the stone in the first place, thus destroying the said archaeology all those years ago! One assumes that the surplus soil/chalk has been spread over the surface so anything worthy of note would have been dug up years before.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jan 20, 2013, 16:04
Avebury certainly is unique but not in the sense that it’s never been disturbed.

The closest parallel to Avebury that springs to mind is the Church of St Peter and St Paul in Pickering, North Yorkshire. Pickering Church contains the most complete set of medieval wall paintings so far discovered in Britain. Executed over 500 years ago the paintings remained hidden under a thick coat of plaster until they were accidentally rediscovered in 1852.

The Pickering wall paintings are not so very different to the Avebury megaliths in so much as both were/are ‘hidden away’ by fairly (in historical terms) recent activities. The Pickering paintings could have been left behind their layers of plaster but what would have been the point?

Similarly, what is the point of leaving the Avebury megaliths buried or recumbent - especially as most of them have only been in that position for a few hundred years and the accompanying archaeology is probably of minimal importance (certainly far less important than having the stones re-erected and the Henge returned to some of its former glory).
Harryshill
510 posts

Jan 20, 2013, 16:25
I really cant see the need, so feel there is no need..

Hundreds of thousands of people enjoy Avebury as it is and probably they wouldn't get any more enjoyment out of it if it was restored.

It works as it is.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jan 20, 2013, 16:44
Harryshill wrote:

Hundreds of thousands of people enjoy Avebury as it is and probably they wouldn't get any more enjoyment out of it if it was restored.

It works as it is.

Would it have worked for you prior to Keiller HH?
Harryshill
510 posts

Jan 20, 2013, 16:50
It's not relevant (IMO) as its what works now that counts.

People love Avebury as it is.
VBB
558 posts

Jan 20, 2013, 16:58
Sanctuary wrote:
Harryshill wrote:

It works as it is.

Would it have worked for you prior to Keiller HH?

It was good enough for Aubrey, Long and Lubbock before AK!
Mustard
1043 posts

Jan 20, 2013, 17:21
Harryshill wrote:
It's not relevant (IMO) as its what works now that counts.

People love Avebury as it is.

By that logic, nothing would ever be improved upon.
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Re: Alexander Keiller's Avebury
Jan 20, 2013, 17:33
I'm with you Roy, even after reading through the entirety of the thread i can't see and reasonable reason why not to.Yeah we could wait forever for techniques to evolve but that way we'd never get anything done.

For the record i'd also open EKLB, you could cite preservation as the reason as there's no doubt the trees and badgers ARE damaging it, or we could wait and lose a whole load of knowledge.
Harryshill
510 posts

Jan 20, 2013, 17:34
I use the logic in regard to Avebury. It's how I feel about it.

You don't need to agree with it, or believe it, but I do.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Alexander Keiller's Avebury
Jan 20, 2013, 17:44
harestonesdown wrote:
I'm with you Roy, even after reading through the entirety of the thread i can't see and reasonable reason why not to.Yeah we could wait forever for techniques to evolve but that way we'd never get anything done.

For the record i'd also open EKLB, you could cite preservation as the reason as there's no doubt the trees and badgers ARE damaging it, or we could wait and lose a whole load of knowledge.

Have you had a change of heart on the barrow Geoff? I have it in my mind that you were in favour of leaving it at one stage. I would like to see the exterior excavated to a degree to see how much damage the trees were actually doing rather than us guessing at it. If it was severe then yes, get in before it is too late.
Pages: 77 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index