Pages: 77 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: The Stukeley Line
Jan 20, 2013, 17:59
VBB wrote:

It was good enough for Aubrey, Long and Lubbock before AK!

There was more of it around when Aubrey saw it ;-)
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Alexander Keiller's Avebury
Jan 20, 2013, 18:15
East Kennet is a real hard one (for me at least). For years I thought it should be opened up, if not for research purposes then to save it from erosion. Then moss and I went up there a few years ago and the mystery of the place was palpable “That tomb belonged in that field.”

Some things might be best left alone...
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Jan 20, 2013, 19:05
Sanctuary wrote:
harestonesdown wrote:
I'm with you Roy, even after reading through the entirety of the thread i can't see and reasonable reason why not to.Yeah we could wait forever for techniques to evolve but that way we'd never get anything done.

For the record i'd also open EKLB, you could cite preservation as the reason as there's no doubt the trees and badgers ARE damaging it, or we could wait and lose a whole load of knowledge.

Have you had a change of heart on the barrow Geoff? I have it in my mind that you were in favour of leaving it at one stage. I would like to see the exterior excavated to a degree to see how much damage the trees were actually doing rather than us guessing at it. If it was severe then yes, get in before it is too late.

Slight change Roy, i wanted the place consolidated to lessen further damage initially, now i'm of a mind it should be excavated before any more damage is done, under the proviso everything is replaced (including any finds) as close to how they found it as possible.

I know it's the only untouched one in the region and that's my main reason for excavation, what are we losing by not excavating ? those badgers don't live a tidy life, they move things around and therefore we lose context for one.
harestonesdown
1067 posts

Jan 20, 2013, 19:08
Littlestone wrote:
East Kennet is a real hard one (for me at least). For years I thought it should be opened up, if not for research purposes then to save it from erosion. Then moss and I went up there a few years ago and the mystery of the place was palpable “That tomb belonged in that field.”

Some things might be best left alone...

Thought provoking place isn't it, but there's no doubt damage is being done so something should happen imo. We can't just leave it open to further damage can we ? We could leave it till more advanced and less destructive techniques are available but what will be left by then ?
VBB
558 posts

Jan 20, 2013, 20:13
Littlestone wrote:
VBB wrote:

It was good enough for Aubrey, Long and Lubbock before AK!

There was more of it around when Aubrey saw it ;-)

But not for LONG! Boom boom!
Mustard
1043 posts

Jan 20, 2013, 20:50
Harryshill wrote:
I use the logic in regard to Avebury. It's how I feel about it.

You don't need to agree with it, or believe it, but I do.

I'm struggling to see how adding more stones would significantly alter what "works" about Avebury?
Harryshill
510 posts

Jan 20, 2013, 20:54
Mustard wrote:
Harryshill wrote:

I'm struggling to see how adding more stones would significantly alter what "works" about Avebury?

That's why I don't see the point of adding more.

Happy with how it is.
Mustard
1043 posts

Jan 20, 2013, 20:57
Harryshill wrote:
Mustard wrote:
Harryshill wrote:

That's why I don't see the point of adding more.

Happy with how it is.

Help me out here. In what way would adding stones change that?
Harryshill
510 posts

Jan 20, 2013, 21:00
I'm the one that doesn't want to dig up any more.

Fine as it is.
Mustard
1043 posts

Jan 20, 2013, 21:23
Harryshill wrote:
I'm the one that doesn't want to dig up any more.

Fine as it is.

So... and I'm not being awkward here, just trying to understand... you don't have any rational reason for not wanting to re-erect buried stones?
Pages: 77 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index