Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited Dec 03, 2012, 10:48
Re: New study challenges timeline
Dec 03, 2012, 10:45
To which one could add -

Giving explanations for lay persons is often considered cheap and populist (or career threatening even, if the wrong end of the stick is publicly got).

The alternative is for lay persons to attempt to explain stuff - but then there's a chance they'll be dismissed as cheap and populist and having got the wrong end of the stick.

All of the above can explain why so few archaeos openly post on here even though oblique references in what they write suggest a lot visit a lot.

I guess it's the downside of "all views no matter how bizarre are equally valid and welcome". It results in the pros keeping schtum and not attempting to explain stuff. Two forums try to solve it by having a special section for way-out stuff. I suppose I'd be thrashed in the name of democracy if I suggested that might be of benefit here so I won't.
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Dec 03, 2012, 11:19
nigelswift wrote:

I guess it's the downside of "all views no matter how bizarre are equally valid and welcome". It results in the pros keeping schtum and not attempting to explain stuff. Two forums try to solve it by having a special section for way-out stuff. I suppose I'd be thrashed in the name of democracy if I suggested that might be of benefit here so I won't.

I think its a shame. Its what makes the subject for me. The combination of science, adventure, beauty, spirituality. Time. 'Us'. Getting to the bottom of our very nature.
The 'way-out' stuff is not so way-out after all, is it? Modern human beings built the monuments. They must have thought about and acted upon some pretty 'way-out' ideas themselves? And lots of us in 2012 find it attractive. I believe there is some sort of residue within us, not yet beaten out of us entirely, and thats what that feeling you get is when you get excited about seeing a monument, or, perhaps, long to protect it.
I personally wouldn't want to see 'The Sensible Forum' and 'The Way-out' Forum'. It doesn't feel right to me. This subject is about us, all of us, and where we come from!
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Dec 03, 2012, 11:27
nigelswift wrote:

All of the above can explain why so few archaeos openly post on here even though oblique references in what they write suggest a lot visit a lot.

I've seen this suggested before but other than look at the pics , which are a great resource , why would they bother ? I can't think of any examples where it has been apparent . Although Andrew Cochrane did mention some tma posters attitudes to Newgrange , a few years ago , but the content of the essay was really more po mo , Baudrillard , Benjamin and simulcra .
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Dec 03, 2012, 11:31
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
[quote="nigelswift"]

I personally wouldn't want to see 'The Sensible Forum' and 'The Way-out' Forum'. It doesn't feel right to me. This subject is about us, all of us, and where we come from!

Personally I think it is about "them " , and what you or I think is not really that important .
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Dec 03, 2012, 11:42
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
[quote="nigelswift"]

Personally I think it is about "them " , and what you or I think is not really that important .

Yes, I see what you mean, but we 'are' them, if you get my drift.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Dec 03, 2012, 11:42
It comes down to what you want I suppose.

Personally i regret the Lizard era and I've heard TMA spoken of disparagingly by archies quite recently on the grounds that it was full of that sort of stuff.

It's quite a thought that very few pros come here openly (Mike Pitts was the last I think) yet there's a huge and healthy public interest in prehistory here.
We can grumble that they are arrogant as they don't descend from their Ivory towers to outreach and engage with that public interest. Or we can ask - WHY don't they.

Personally, I'd rather Tim Darvill et al popped in here sometimes than the lizard lot or their more recent successors. But no doubt I,m a very bad, closed minded person for having such a preference. And I'm certainly in a minority.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Dec 03, 2012, 11:48
tiompan wrote:
I've seen this suggested before but other than look at the pics , which are a great resource , why would they bother ? I can't think of any examples where it has been apparent . Although Andrew Cochrane did mention some tma posters attitudes to Newgrange , a few years ago , but the content of the essay was really more po mo , Baudrillard , Benjamin and simulcra .

Think the idea that there was a strong porky-based culture at play in the Neolithic was suggested here before the discoveries at Durrington Walls confirmed it. That some (many?) stone circles were just corrals, and that Silbury, Avebury and Thornborough were originally (and designed to be) a brilliant white. And, most well-know of all, how Silbury plays out its position in the surrounding landscape.

Think we continue to throw ideas (not to mention lizards ;-) into the melting pot that then seem to be picked up by some archeos and investigated by them – more power to us :-)
nigelswift
8112 posts

Dec 03, 2012, 11:49
"why would they bother ?"

Well, to give the right end of the stick, to correct misreporting and untrue rumours, to stimulate public interest and involvement and to "outreach" (whatever that means, but archaeologists, particularly those using public funds, have a duty to do it).
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Dec 03, 2012, 11:50
nigelswift wrote:
It comes down to what you want I suppose.

Personally i regret the Lizard era and I've heard TMA spoken of disparagingly by archies quite recently on the grounds that it was full of that sort of stuff.

It's quite a thought that very few pros come here openly (Mike Pitts was the last I think) yet there's a huge and healthy public interest in prehistory here.
We can grumble that they are arrogant as they don't descend from their Ivory towers to outreach and engage with that public interest. Or we can ask - WHY don't they.

Personally, I'd rather Tim Darvill et al popped in here sometimes than the lizard lot or their more recent successors. But no doubt I,m a very bad, closed minded person for having such a preference. And I'm certainly in a minority.

Of course, that would be great. Who wouldn't like to see Archaeologists popping in here for a chat? I'm not saying I have a solution, its' just a shame somebody like Tim or Josh Pollard couldn't come here and have a chat with a dowser, for example. I'm not convinced they wouldn't want to, but probably feel they 'can't'.
However, we shouldn't make allowances for that. We should continue down the 'right' path with open discussion, and "all views matter".
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Dec 03, 2012, 12:35
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
nigelswift wrote:

I think its a shame. Its what makes the subject for me. The combination of science, adventure, beauty, spirituality. Time. 'Us'. Getting to the bottom of our very nature.
The 'way-out' stuff is not so way-out after all, is it? Modern human beings built the monuments. They must have thought about and acted upon some pretty 'way-out' ideas themselves? And lots of us in 2012 find it attractive. I believe there is some sort of residue within us, not yet beaten out of us entirely, and thats what that feeling you get is when you get excited about seeing a monument, or, perhaps, long to protect it.

I agree with every word of this, I believe some of us still have it in us and it's why we're here!
Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index