Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: New study challenges timeline
Dec 03, 2012, 15:32
nigelswift wrote:
Bottom line, if we want archaeos here it ain't gonna happen as things stand is it? I regret that. I'd prefer it if there were.

So do I. Friendly exchanging of views with professionals can't do any harm. As amateurs we are at liberty to express our views freely without fear of ridicule that is going to damage our future, but archaeos have to be more reserved in their ideas as their futures do depend on it. We have some very forward thinking and observational members on this forum who have thought long and hard on certain matters and their views are always worthy of discussion and consideration and I'm sure archaeos have taken note in the past. Recently things have gone a bit tits-up on the forum which is not in our best interest but once put behind us I look forward to meaningful discussions such as this thread to bring us all together again and encourage the guys who are out there doing it joining in.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Re: art and science
Dec 03, 2012, 15:37
Yes, I think that's right. Weirdness is no bad thing, it certainly keeps us entertained, but you can't usually build a proper theory on it. Because, as has been said on here quite often in recent months, any theory sooner or later has to be tested and then re-evaluated. That's the problem with the more off-the-wall ideas, they don't usually stand up to proper scrutiny.

There are plenty of people writing books about Atlantis and lizards still, I assume, or has the internet done away with the need to publish these sorts of things now that you can just post it for free on-line somewhere?
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Dec 03, 2012, 15:40
thesweetcheat wrote:
Yes, I think that's right. Weirdness is no bad thing, it certainly keeps us entertained, but you can't usually build a proper theory on it. Because, as has been said on here quite often in recent months, any theory sooner or later has to be tested and then re-evaluated. That's the problem with the more off-the-wall ideas, they don't usually stand up to proper scrutiny.

There are plenty of people writing books about Atlantis and lizards still, I assume, or has the internet done away with the need to publish these sorts of things now that you can just post it for free on-line somewhere?

Yeah here!!!
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Dec 03, 2012, 15:44
"no papers = no money etc" I agree, and you are correct, you'll certainly be wanting some firm evidence if you are trying to build a picture of what really did happen back in the Neoilthic, for example.
Can't argue with that, and I'd get totally narked if I was reading a book that was just full of anecdotal evidence!
But - Sometimes the real facts or 'discoveries' are quite 'weird' and spark conversations which I think are important. They may go along a wobbly path sometimes, and they are not always what some may deem 'sensible', but they have their place in terms of human experience and can be enlightening.

I see the subject as a blend of lots of 'types' of thought, lots of elements, and is enjoyed by many for many different reasons. Its a strange old community, but very enjoyable and an education. If you read widely and engage with others of differing points of view you can learn to separate the wheat from the chaff and come to your own conclusions.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Dec 03, 2012, 15:48
bladup wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:

Yeah here!!!

True in theory, but no-one's written a TMA blog about Atlantis or about how the lizard people have taken over recently (ever?). We had the person who travelled to Russia and measured the electrical currents in stones recently, but no-one paid much attention, except to mainly point out the deficiencies in the methods used.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Dec 03, 2012, 15:52
The only real problem i have with archaeologists is the digging and destruction, as there are so many ways of finding things out without all that destruction, and there will be even more in the future, we should stop now and leave them as much as we can, at least this would show we can collectively think ahead [to them and their new technologies] and not just about ourselves.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Dec 03, 2012, 15:54
thesweetcheat wrote:
bladup wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:

Yeah here!!!

True in theory, but no-one's written a TMA blog about Atlantis or about how the lizard people have taken over recently (ever?). We had the person who travelled to Russia and measured the electrical currents in stones recently, but no-one paid much attention, except to mainly point out the deficiencies in the methods used.

Never even read it, it was to "far out" for me, He he he.
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Dec 03, 2012, 15:55
bladup wrote:
The only real problem i have with archaeologists is the digging and destruction, as there are so many ways of finding things out without all that destruction, and there will be even more in the future, we should stop now and leave them as much as we can, at least this would show we can collectively think ahead [to them and their new technologies] and not just about ourselves.

I think there are very few excavations these days (apart from development) as the thinking is exactly that - leave it for less destructive future techniques/technologies.
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Dec 03, 2012, 15:58
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
bladup wrote:

I think there are very few excavations these days (apart from development) as the thinking is exactly that - leave it for less destructive future techniques/technologies.

Tbh I think the lack of excavations is directly caused by lack of funding... John Barnatt gave a ballpark estimate of £100k to completely excavate a barrow in the peaks. Apart from the show sites, no-one seems to be prepared to give that sort of money.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

frog buckets
Dec 03, 2012, 16:00
I don't know what goes on in the members only forum over there, perhaps it is a hive of frenetic and interesting debate behind closed doors. But the impression that I get from the very existence of the frog bucket forum, is that talk of lizards and atlantis and so on is encouraged, albeit in the bucket. Whereas I think over here it's kind of tolerated, but not encouraged. (as someone else said, the thread with the woman and her voltmeter soon died a death. As did the thing about sailors and stonehenge, not even a reply)

It's been a long time since any really crazy days here yknow. Whereas there's still quite some fruitloopery on the MP.

I quite like the mix of opinions here. I think it does reflect Julian Cope's outlook in the book quite well. I think it would stifle things if we had to have a Serious Establishment-Approved forum and a separate Weird Experiences forum. I think it's all good mashed up together. And if you want purely serious and academic, there are other places to frequent. And you can frequent all of them if you like.

And mostly it's friendly here, most of the time.
Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index