New study challenges timeline

Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Re: art and science
Dec 03, 2012, 16:00
Agreed with that. Just look at LiDar, there'll be loads of new sites identified from that without a spade being turned. Although it's true that some questions are only answered by digging at the present time, that doesn't mean that won't be capable of being answered without digging in the future.

The exception, regretfully, is rescue excavations where stuff is about to be destroyed anyway (especially if the Tories pursue the relaxation of planning laws).

As an aside, I must say that I'm bored rigid of Stonehenge's continuing pull as the black hole at the centre of the known universe. Aren't there any other sites in Britain?
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Edited Dec 03, 2012, 16:03
Dec 03, 2012, 16:02
juamei wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
bladup wrote:
The only real problem i have with archaeologists is the digging and destruction, as there are so many ways of finding things out without all that destruction, and there will be even more in the future, we should stop now and leave them as much as we can, at least this would show we can collectively think ahead [to them and their new technologies] and not just about ourselves.

I think there are very few excavations these days (apart from development) as the thinking is exactly that - leave it for less destructive future techniques/technologies.

Tbh I think the lack of excavations is directly caused by lack of funding... John Barnatt gave a ballpark estimate of £100k to completely excavate a barrow in the peaks. Apart from the show sites, no-one seems to be prepared to give that sort of money.

By the power of greyskull, that is a lot of money!
I wonder how, exactly, a figure like that is broken down?

You would think (or it might be my naivety) that students of archaeology might be willing to contribute their time to excavate/produce reports for v little money, if a site was of particular interest.
I would guess getting radiocarbon dates may be an expensive business.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Dec 03, 2012, 16:02
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
bladup wrote:
The only real problem i have with archaeologists is the digging and destruction, as there are so many ways of finding things out without all that destruction, and there will be even more in the future, we should stop now and leave them as much as we can, at least this would show we can collectively think ahead [to them and their new technologies] and not just about ourselves.

I think there are very few excavations these days (apart from development) as the thinking is exactly that - leave it for less destructive future techniques/technologies.

Is that not because there hands are full with all the stuff development wrecks, there was a archaeological company in Lincoln that was 100% busy recording all the things found by Lincoln's development, record and then you can destroy is the normal rule of thumb, as it has been for a while now, I hope your right though and if you are it's a slow change, saying one thing and doing something else if you ask me.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Dec 03, 2012, 16:04
Obviously hiring a metal detector and a torch may cost less than this amount.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Re: frog buckets
Dec 03, 2012, 16:08
Frogs, lizards and Atlantis. Sounds like the start of very smart theory Rhiannon. Or a particularly exciting episode of Doctor Who.
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Dec 03, 2012, 16:11
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
juamei wrote:

Tbh I think the lack of excavations is directly caused by lack of funding... John Barnatt gave a ballpark estimate of £100k to completely excavate a barrow in the peaks. Apart from the show sites, no-one seems to be prepared to give that sort of money.

By the power of greyskull, that is a lot of money!
I wonder how, exactly, a figure like that is broken down?

You would think (or it might be my naivety) that students of archaeology might be willing to contribute their time to excavate/produce reports for v little money, if a site was of particular interest.
I would guess getting radiocarbon dates may be an expensive business.

From the top of my head that was with "free" diggers (students + volunteers) & 1 qualified archeo salary. Carbon dates cost hundreds a pop. Other sciencey tests plus paying experts costs thousands eg snails, pollen, luminosity etc etc.

Sadly my memory is atrocious and I only really remembered the shockingly large figure at the end :)
Spaceship mark
Spaceship mark
1686 posts

Dec 03, 2012, 16:11
[quote="Rhiannon"] (as someone else said, the thread with the woman and her voltmeter soon died a death. As did the thing about sailors and stonehenge, not even a reply)

quote]

Does anyone remember the magic-roundabout-granary-Stonehenge-with-sails? That was fun.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Dec 03, 2012, 16:12
Rhiannon wrote:
I don't know what goes on in the members only forum over there, perhaps it is a hive of frenetic and interesting debate behind closed doors. But the impression that I get from the very existence of the frog bucket forum, is that talk of lizards and atlantis and so on is encouraged, albeit in the bucket. Whereas I think over here it's kind of tolerated, but not encouraged. (as someone else said, the thread with the woman and her voltmeter soon died a death. As did the thing about sailors and stonehenge, not even a reply)

It's been a long time since any really crazy days here yknow. Whereas there's still quite some fruitloopery on the MP.

I quite like the mix of opinions here. I think it does reflect Julian Cope's outlook in the book quite well. I think it would stifle things if we had to have a Serious Establishment-Approved forum and a separate Weird Experiences forum. I think it's all good mashed up together. And if you want purely serious and academic, there are other places to frequent. And you can frequent all of them if you like.

And mostly it's friendly here, most of the time.

Brillantly written, and i think very correct, I may be seen as one of the more far out ones on here, but i can assure you if any of you met me in the flesh my feet are firmly on the ground [as much as any one i've ever met, lot's of others would tell you as well, so it's not just something i think], no one on here [not even me] is that far out in my opinion, I'm a little "out there" but know my stuff as well, I realise that without knowing about prehistory i'd just look a fool.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Dec 03, 2012, 16:13
Spaceship mark wrote:
[quote="Rhiannon"] (as someone else said, the thread with the woman and her voltmeter soon died a death. As did the thing about sailors and stonehenge, not even a reply)

quote]

Does anyone remember the magic-roundabout-granary-Stonehenge-with-sails? That was fun.

I always knew i loved the magic roundabout for some reason as a kid!
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Edited Dec 03, 2012, 16:23
Dec 03, 2012, 16:17
Everything always comes down to money doesn't it? The root of all modern evil no less, no good will ever come of it, and i've been saying that for over 2500 years now.
Pages: 22 – [ Previous | 14 5 6 7 8 9 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index