Pages: 24 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bawn79
bawn79
864 posts

Ireland
Oct 16, 2012, 12:15
Hi All,

I was wondering if it was possible to get a stickied "Ireland" thread on here. The Irish megalithic community has become very splintered since Fourwinds left this site.
I think it would be an advantage for the site, if a person from Ireland browses by, that all the threads on the main page aren't dedicated to the island of Great Britain but that they may find a contact on the "Ireland thread" and so keep up their interest.
I know when I started out, first it was lurking. Then posting in Ireland related threads and then posting pics and sites.
Currently I think someone from Ireland will browse by and find that all the recent posts on the forum and to the sites / pictures are pretty much from Great Britain and so will keep moving.
Any how just a suggestion and maybe "positive discrimination" might help to get the sites / pictures count up from Ireland again.

Thanks
TMA Ed
615 posts

Edited Oct 16, 2012, 18:14
Re: Ireland
Oct 16, 2012, 18:02
Hello Bawn,

I think TMA's alternative to subforums is that you can select all the Eire related discussion here
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/forum/?s_id=850
and the Northern Ireland threads (the few there are) are here
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/forum/?s_id=10266

That's probably not quite what you mean, as you say, Ireland-related threads may fall out of sight on the forum - like any other discussion - if they're not added to. If people are browsing the Irish sites though, they should see a clear link to the related discussions at the top of the page, and then easily be able to add their own posts.

(A sticky thread is an interesting idea. I fear there'd be a series of similar demands. Perhaps long-untouched threads on view are more off-putting than none at all though, to prospective contributors. I will raise the idea with HMcG and the other Eds.)

TMA Ed.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Oct 16, 2012, 20:42
Oct 16, 2012, 19:58
I would certainly like to see something like this Bawn. There is quite a lot here but you do have to hunt for it. There are a lot of excellent Irish websites but this one is familiar and easy to use.

I had a fabulous time on the Beara Peninsula earlier in the year - but I didn't know what I didn't know until I got there if that makes sense, its only when you get there and start browsing local book shops that you really find what you need. Here I discovered the relatively unknown Jack Roberts who has written beautiful illustrated maps and guides to ancient sites for Cork and Kerry but who has no internet presence at all.

It would be good to be able to share folk-lore and literature as well. I'm just coming to the end of a book by Frank Delaney called 'Ireland' which tells the history (and prehistory) of Ireland through the medium of story telling - starting with Newgrange. It is also the story of a young man who hears the story teller for the first time as a boy and takes up the mantle as an adult. One sentence I loved "Nor had he found all of the places mentioned in that last chronicle; as yet he had not seen hares dance; as yet he had not spent the night in the warm arms of a stone circle."

I for one would love to see something more visible on the forum that encouraged information sharing about Ireland. Thanks for the suggestion.
rockhopper
275 posts

Oct 16, 2012, 21:49
There's a few people over here breaking new ground, but getting it out there can be a bit of a problem. At the risk of banging on about my own contribution excessively, have a look at truehistory.netne.net if you havn't already done so. Bit of a naff title but it was a free site! Beara is wonderful isn't it?
TheStandingStone
218 posts

Oct 17, 2012, 09:25
It would be great to see something to stimulate Irish interest but there are so few of us that we are inevitably swallowed up here. Unfortunately all interest ends up on facebook these days so forums are not the flavour of the month any more.
bawn79
bawn79
864 posts

Oct 17, 2012, 10:15
TheStandingStone wrote:
It would be great to see something to stimulate Irish interest but there are so few of us that we are inevitably swallowed up here. Unfortunately all interest ends up on facebook these days so forums are not the flavour of the month any more.

Ya I agree - that's why I thought the idea of a sticky would be an idea. I'd have no problem with a few other stickies as well - Scotland, Wales, England - whatever makes sense.

Facebook to me is a very poor substitute for a forum. Items drop off the main page so quickly and the whole thing is unorganised compared to the brilliant resource which is TMA.
TheStandingStone
218 posts

Oct 17, 2012, 12:10
bawn79 wrote:
TheStandingStone wrote:

Ya I agree - that's why I thought the idea of a sticky would be an idea. I'd have no problem with a few other stickies as well - Scotland, Wales, England - whatever makes sense.

Facebook to me is a very poor substitute for a forum. Items drop off the main page so quickly and the whole thing is unorganised compared to the brilliant resource which is TMA.

I completely agree about facebook...once it's no longer a recent post it's gone. There's no database but since everyone is on facebook and there are plenty of Irish groups over there I can't see how to get the Irish section on here moving. The holy wells group on facebook has over 600 members alone with many many regular posters. It seems that unless it's facebook people are unwilling to post things.
nix
nix
201 posts

Oct 17, 2012, 12:14
Why does Four winds not post here anymore?
TheStandingStone
218 posts

Oct 17, 2012, 12:22
nix wrote:
Why does Four winds not post here anymore?

Best to leave that door shut...
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Oct 17, 2012, 17:08
Oct 17, 2012, 17:05
bawn79 wrote:
TheStandingStone wrote:

Agree! TMA is a brilliant resource which encourages individuals to go out and seek ... The forum seems to lose its way from time to time but nothing a bit of genuine good will can't put right.
Pages: 24 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index