Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Penwith Visit
Sep 08, 2012, 10:40
bladup wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Mustard wrote:
What did you make of Chysauster? I really loved it up there. Windswept, but so atmospheric!

Well to be honest I didn't appreciate it as much as I did Carn Euny. As I'd said previously, the IA doesnt do a lot for me, but I went to CE because of the fogou and I guess that spoilt it for me. It was immediately after visiting CE that I went to Chysauster but the appeal for me was not there sadly. I don't know why you have to pay to visit Chysauster because CE has more to offer for free! The main thing though is that you enjoyed it and I leart a lot more so we are both winners.

That's one thing about living near Chysauster, you can go in the back way when every bodies gone and watch the sun set for free, but the feeling of carn euny beats it hands down, i think it's mad that at the pay site the fogou is not restored and fenced off and at carn euny it's free and the fogou is brilliantly restored, you'd think they'd at least use some of the money they get at Chysauster to restore the fogou there, for this reason alone the place is a let down.

I totally agree with you bladup. Carn Euny is a real charmer, much more intimate and user-friendy I felt.
A question I was going to ask Alken because he seems really up with this time period, is did he think that in a 'smallish' community such as that at CE that there would have been a more 'intimate' relationship between the inhabitants in its early period? To me it had more of a family feel to it rather than a full-blown village.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index