Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Penwith Visit
Sep 08, 2012, 10:31
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Even though it could easily be argued to be the least atmospheric site in Cornwall, something about Tregiffian really did it for me!
I hung about there for ages. Funny how sometimes sites you think are going to be merely a quick tick of the box turn out to totally captivate, and even though the decorated stone is a cast it still hit the spot with me.
That little corner of Penwith with the merry maidens, the pipers, Tregiffian, Ghun rith (spelling?), and Boleigh is out of this world.

Although I'd seen Tregiffian and the Maidens before, I am still amazed that some complete fool allowed a road to be built through the back of the chamber. I also spent a lot of time there ED because for what is now a small site it captures your imagination doesn't it. At the moment I'm enjoying just playing over and over the video I took of all the sites I visited, including of course Tregiffian. Did you notice the single standing stone just off the hedgeline over the road from the chamber?

Is that the holed stone? Wasn't aware of it on my visit and only read about it afterwards. One for next time. I visited Ghun Rith (I think that's it's name) in the hedge across the field but I don't think you mean that one?

I don't know Ghun Rith, or at least I'm not aware that I've ever visited it. I was stood on the grass above the Treg chamber and just swung the camera around to get a sense of the landscape when I spotted the standing stone only about 75 yards away across the road. No idea if it was holed as I never went over to see it. I did drive up the road to the east though for a couple of minutes to see the Pipers. You have to 'trespass' to see them (well the way I got in probably was) but I won't tell anyone if you don't :-)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index