The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Carvings for comment

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Annexus Quam
926 posts

podomorphs
Jul 31, 2012, 22:40
Hi, I've been interested in these for the last few years.

Any serious studies on foot carvings done in the uk that you know of? It's a bit of a controversial topic round these parts (you may have heard of the 'enthronement' theory, Iron Age, etc). But they seem to be so common that even I have discovered one (on a very prominent hilltop, obviously) next to some other minor cupmarks.

But this is most obvious example, discovered only a couple of decades ago:

http://www.manuelgago.org/blog/index.php/2012/07/01/pezas-de-domino-o-calco-do-petroglifo-do-outeiro-dos-podomorfos/
Annexus Quam
926 posts

Re: podomorphs
Jul 31, 2012, 22:52
Sorry, I was referring to this one:
http://gl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ficheiro:Chan_das_Ferraduras_superior.jpg

The link I posted earlier is about a newly discovered one.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jul 31, 2012, 23:11
Annexus Quam wrote:
Hi, I've been interested in these for the last few years.

Any serious studies on foot carvings done in the uk that you know of? It's a bit of a controversial topic round these parts (you may have heard of the 'enthronement' theory, Iron Age, etc). But they seem to be so common that even I have discovered one (on a very prominent hilltop, obviously) next to some other minor cupmarks.

But this is most obvious example, discovered only a couple of decades ago:

http://www.manuelgago.org/blog/index.php/2012/07/01/pezas-de-domino-o-calco-do-petroglifo-do-outeiro-dos-podomorfos/

No studies of UK footprints that I know of , although there are far more I.A. examples than the usual cup and ring tradition , interestingly the latter tend to portray toes and the I.A. examples just a basic shape .
Lots in Bronze Age Scandanavian rock art that has been well recorded particularly by John Coles .
Annexus Quam
926 posts

Jul 31, 2012, 23:52
Thanks for all that! That last title sounds quite intriguing as well.
Annexus Quam
926 posts

Jul 31, 2012, 23:57
"interestingly the latter tend to portray toes and the I.A. examples just a basic shape"

By 'later', I am guessing you mean early christian / medieval, right? Never seen those. The supposedly-I.A. ones I know of are all, as you say, just an elongated cupmark, basically.
Annexus Quam
926 posts

Aug 01, 2012, 00:00
Sorry, I think I misread your reply and missed a letter.
Must be old age.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Aug 01, 2012, 07:06
It's not quite what you mean, but it might give you some leads. I've not seen it myself yet.
http://www.oxbowbooks.com/bookinfo.cfm/ID/42395//Location/Oxbow
Annexus Quam
926 posts

Aug 01, 2012, 08:28
Wow, very kind of you, Rhiannon. Not sure about some of the stuff in there but the saints' tradition rings a bell. I will check it.

Plus, you know how you ocasionally get what you're after in the most unexpected places. I once did get the best insights on Yggdrasil and possibly-related old tree festivals in a book about bulls and everything that surrounds them!
Chris Collyer
849 posts

Re: Carvings for comment
Aug 01, 2012, 13:13
"Irish" ?

The moors were used for military training during the war, there's a large rock that looks like it has a line of deep cups from a distance but on close inspection turn out to be bullet holes, I wonder if any anyone from the Irish Regiment was stationed nearby and left their mark on the rock?

Dunno about the hand though, it seems clearer on the thumbnails than it does on the expanded pictures, but that's often the case with rock art photos. The palm looks like a natural fault in the rock but the fingers look more manmade. I've only been to Swine Sty a couple of times and haven't got any pictures of this rock but I'm sure someone like Stu will have been up there many times, he might be able to shed some more light on it.

-Chris
Chris Collyer
849 posts

Re: Carvings for comment
Aug 01, 2012, 13:16
Those are some gorgeous carvings, great photography too.

-Chris
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index