Carvings for comment

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Carvings for comment
Jul 31, 2012, 12:09
I've had a few photos of potential rock art in the Peaks sent to me for comment and wondered if anyone else could have a look and comment.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20674176@N00/

The hand carving looks old to me, the other two not so much. Misc Stone 1 especially looks recent.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Re: Carvings for comment
Jul 31, 2012, 13:27
juamei wrote:
The hand carving looks old to me, the other two not so much. Misc Stone 1 especially looks recent.

I agree. Certainly about the one that looks like someone's carved "TRICK" or similar! :D

Are the stones tucked away from where people would normally venture? I only ask, cos they look pretty visible so it's unlikely they'd have been missed unless out in the sticks a bit.

But then what do I know, eh? ;)

G x
Howburn Digger
Howburn Digger
986 posts

Jul 31, 2012, 16:25
Misc stone 1 looks like "Trish" was here (or there)!
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Jul 31, 2012, 16:31
goffik wrote:
juamei wrote:

I agree. Certainly about the one that looks like someone's carved "TRICK" or similar! :D

Are the stones tucked away from where people would normally venture? I only ask, cos they look pretty visible so it's unlikely they'd have been missed unless out in the sticks a bit.

But then what do I know, eh? ;)

G x

The triangular one is down by Swine sty somewhere and apparently only shows the hand in certain lighting conditions. One of the photos shows the rock without the hand visible.
rockhopper
275 posts

Jul 31, 2012, 17:03
TR46X?
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jul 31, 2012, 20:01
Misc 1&2 rock art but not prehistoric , max 40 years old ?
Heritage Action
14 posts

Jul 31, 2012, 20:11
I figured as much. Are you telling age due to colouration?

Any ideas about the hand? :)
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Jul 31, 2012, 20:13
Whoops, was checking the password the other day and forgot to logout.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jul 31, 2012, 20:31
Heritage Action wrote:
I figured as much. Are you telling age due to colouration?

Any ideas about the hand? :)

No , style . One looks like a copy of the I.A. or later ?swastiska/fylfot and the other a runeish attempt trish/trash . The hand isn't in that tradition either ,although you do get engraved feet but they are very rare , it looks a bit fortuitous /natural .
Annexus Quam
926 posts

Jul 31, 2012, 22:34
I think that's right. The carvings you mention look very modern. ie V-shaped (carved by metal perhaps) not U-shaped.

My most recent (frustrating) experiences with the more obscure (but catalogued) rock art is that if you can't see it in broad daylight, then it must be genuinely prehistoric! You get to the rock with coordinates and yet you see nothing but a couple of very vague and eroded carvings. Cupmarks are the exception, being easier to spot and, for some reason, harder to erode(?).

Mind you, the most amazing designs do sometimes unfold under a torchlight.

http://www.murosarqueoloxico.org/?page_id=219&album=2&gallery=10
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index