Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: wrong grid ref?
Apr 03, 2012, 15:13
Emma A wrote:
I'm Cheltenham born and bred, but moved to the Peak 2 years ago. Gloucestershire's still my home really though! Back visiting the folks at the moment.

You're three weeks late for the Cheltenham Festival Emma :-)
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Apr 03, 2012, 16:04
Sorry I read that as Wrong, Ref. A phrase I'm more used to :-)
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Apr 03, 2012, 16:15
drewbhoy wrote:

You'll get booked for time wasting if you're not careful Drew :-)
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Apr 03, 2012, 16:34
Sanctuary wrote:
drewbhoy wrote:

You'll get booked for time wasting if you're not careful Drew :-)

Then probably a red for the tonnes of verbal I'd give the ref. Some things never change :-)
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Apr 03, 2012, 19:11
Sanctuary wrote:
Emma A wrote:
I'm Cheltenham born and bred, but moved to the Peak 2 years ago. Gloucestershire's still my home really though! Back visiting the folks at the moment.

You're three weeks late for the Cheltenham Festival Emma :-)

Thank god that's over. Grr.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Apr 03, 2012, 19:13
Emma A wrote:

Excellent, you'll know the sites round here better than me then. I must admit I'd take the circles and cairns of the Peak instead of the ploughed out long barrows of Gloucestershire, given the choice.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Apr 06, 2012, 21:18
Re: Elkstone Church
Apr 06, 2012, 21:10
Inspired by your post I went with Friend today. Information in the little booklet purchased says "The name of it is Saxon, and means the stone (or stone building) of Ealac. No stone can now be identified with certainty but the smaller one against the wall in the vestry may well be 10th century. No other like it is known, and there is just a possibility that it is the stone which gave the village its name. Its remarkable non-Christian pattern should be studied"

Here are a few random pics taken in the church today. The light in the Chancel is natural and comes from the side windows.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150712882694242.421250.773739241&type=1&l=7273810d97
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Apr 06, 2012, 23:19
tjj wrote:
Inspired by your post I went with Friend today. Information in the little booklet purchased says "The name of it is Saxon, and means the stone (or stone building) of Ealac. No stone can now be identified with certainty but the smaller one against the wall in the vestry may well be 10th century. No other like it is known, and there is just a possibility that it is the stone which gave the village its name. Its remarkable non-Christian pattern should be studied"

Here are a few random pics taken in the church today. The light in the Chancel is natural and comes from the side windows.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150712882694242.421250.773739241&type=1&l=7273810d97

Great pix June
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Apr 07, 2012, 09:02
How excellent, June, it looks superb. I will definitely get there. but I think only once it warms up as I'd like to get drawing. I found a brilliant romanesque north door with beaky animals and allsorts, quite local but I'd not heard of it before, it's funny how amazing things can be on your doorstep and you never know. I started drawing it but my eyes were streaming and my hands got so painful with the cold i was forced to retreat :)
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index