Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Stonehenge »
Yobs allowed to climb on Stonehenge – yet again!

Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Yobs allowed to climb on Stonehenge – yet again!
Jun 21, 2011, 12:31
Follow the links to the photos and video. What a circus! Enough is enough!
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Re: Yobs allowed to climb on Stonehenge – yet again!
Jun 21, 2011, 12:35
For god's sake! Why the hell do people think it's OK to - oh, I can't even be arsed to go into it again... Selfish. These people don't give a shit, do they?

By sheer coincidence, I just stumbled across this: http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/gallery/2011/jun/21/stonehenge-stonehenge?CMP=twt_gu - although I've not had time to look at it yet, so it may not be relevant... It may have some nice pics there tho. ;)

G x
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited Jun 21, 2011, 14:25
Jun 21, 2011, 13:21
The trouble is, whenever the fact it's just a sodding circus is pointed out then EH and/or pagans say it's not too bad and criticisms is anti-pagan and it's unavoidable. Well, wrong on all counts IMO. The wrongdoers aren't pagans - in fact I doubt they could spell pagan or Stonehenge. I'd like someone to point any one of them out to me that isn't a pathetic exhibitionist though.

And as for unavoidable. Why DOES EH let prats jump on the stones year after year after year and pretend they can't stop it and that they're standing up for spirituality. They're actually doing both paganism and Stonehenge a grave disservice for not formulating a solution by listening to the non-immature wing who are the great majority (although some of the mouthy pagans that went on at us for mentioning this before were too thick to see it.) Just take a look at the pictures EH you're letting complete idiots run riot on Stonehenge. Saying nothing doesn't get you off the hook.
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Edited Jun 21, 2011, 13:46
Jun 21, 2011, 13:45
This really angers me. I've never been to Stonehenge at the Solstice, and I'm glad. There's no excuse - whether one is there in a there personal spiritual capacity, to appreciate and celebrate our cultural heritage and its monuments, or for any other reason, it doesn't matter. It's unacceptable and tantamount to vandalism. There is no difference be it respect for nature, culture, antiquities etc. If you have no respect, you have no appreciation and therefore no real understanding.

(It reminds me of the children I once saw using the Glastonbury Abbey ruins as a personal adventure playground and assault course as Dad chatted away loudly on his mobile, and Mum munched crisps and gazed fondly on at her youngsters re-creating the bloody Disillusionment!)
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jun 21, 2011, 15:34
It's unacceptable and tantamount to vandalism. There is no difference be it respect for nature, culture, antiquities etc. If you have no respect, you have no appreciation and therefore no real understanding.

That’s it in a nutshell TSC.

Arthur was shown in one of the videos referring to Stonehenge as a cathedral. Can you imagine 20,000 being allowed free access into Canterbury Cathedral one day each year to climb up the columns, swing from the arches and drop litter all over the place – of course not! If it’s not acceptable in a cathedral it’s not acceptable at Stonehenge - or any other heritage site.

Get your act together English Heritage – enough is enough.
ToneStone
ToneStone
1768 posts

Jun 21, 2011, 16:05
http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2011/06/21/stonehenge-attacked/
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8761 posts

Jun 21, 2011, 16:31
*chortle*
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jun 21, 2011, 17:41
goffik wrote:
For god's sake! Why the hell do people think it's OK to - oh, I can't even be arsed to go into it again... Selfish. These people don't give a shit, do they?

By sheer coincidence, I just stumbled across this: http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/gallery/2011/jun/21/stonehenge-stonehenge?CMP=twt_gu - although I've not had time to look at it yet, so it may not be relevant... It may have some nice pics there tho. ;)

G x

Thats a good series of photos which illustrates every aspect of the 'celebration' the ritual,the dressing up, the disrespect to the monument by the show-offs, and the inevitable beer cans lying around when its all over. Can't imagine somewhere like Göbekli Tepe getting treated in such a manner. I've nothing against people either enjoying themselves or following their personal spiritual rituals but if Stonehenge is opened up for the latter then why the beer cans. Is it a spiritual rite or is a party? If its a party it should definitely be held elsewhere.
Lubin
Lubin
509 posts

Jun 21, 2011, 19:47
Is there anyway we could get a petition together and send to E.H. to try and get this stopped?

Lubin
baza
baza
1308 posts

Jun 21, 2011, 20:59
nigelswift wrote:
...Why DOES EH let prats jump on the stones year after year after year and pretend they can't stop it and that they're standing up for spirituality...

If I recall correctly, when the total exclusion zone was first lifted EH only wanted pagans to be allowed in but King Arthur said that he would not enter until ALL were allowed in.
Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index