Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Stonehenge »
Yobs allowed to climb on Stonehenge – yet again!

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Resonox
604 posts

Re: Yobs allowed to climb on Stonehenge – yet again!
Jun 22, 2011, 05:15
Idle curiosity but I've asked this before and never had an answer.......Does anyone know or are there any accounts as to, in what way(how)was the solstice etc celebrated here prior to Alexander Keiller's renovation work or did people(various worshippers) "reclaim the site" after the stones were re-erected? When the stones were lying awry surely they wouldn't have "aligned" with the sun, the moon and Harry etc...maybe nobody knows...which is fair enough...but usually there is a mine of info gleaned from other posters.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Jun 22, 2011, 05:22
Well Stonehenge's lesser sister Avebury also had a bit of a 'do', but only a few hundred attended (read the comment at the end to understand).
It rained (rain is the best policeman according to the article - yikes)

http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/news/9095843.Rain_keeps_revellers_away_from_Avebury/

Andy Worthington has also written something very interesting but my battery is low...
moss
moss
2897 posts

Edited Jun 22, 2011, 06:33
Jun 22, 2011, 05:24
Well Stonehenge's lesser sister Avebury also had a bit of a 'do', but only a few hundred attended (read the comment at the end to understand).
It rained (rain is the best policeman according to the article - yikes)

http://www.gazetteandherald.co.uk/news/9095843.Rain_keeps_revellers_away_from_Avebury/

Andy Worthington has also written something very interesting but my battery is running low...

Resuming; there is Irish Solstice celebrations on the Hill of Tara, a hard fought battle to stop the M3 motorway running underneath, and Carmel Diviney is still battling on. So here's to Ritual and Protest, but not to partying yobs!

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/united-in-ritual-and-protest-158581.html
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited Jun 22, 2011, 07:26
Jun 22, 2011, 06:21
baza wrote:
If I recall correctly, when the total exclusion zone was first lifted EH only wanted pagans to be allowed in but King Arthur said that he would not enter until ALL were allowed in.

That probably goes to the heart of it then. No-one - the public, EH and respectable pagans - wants misbehaviour but unless you have some sort of restriction on numbers it's always going to happen.

The mantra "free access for all" has turned out to be a very bad thing as it has resulted in a "free for all"!

EH's problem is that not enough pagans recognise the need for rationing - and the yob element are dead against it, threatening a return to the Beanfield Battle. They need to talk more to the quiet, moderate pagans who understand the current situation is untenable. The "front of camera" ones that insist on free access for all aren't acting in either the public's or Stonehenge's best interest. Why even talk to them if they can see neither the problem nor the solution?
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jun 22, 2011, 07:29
Resonox wrote:
Idle curiosity but I've asked this before and never had an answer.......Does anyone know or are there any accounts as to, in what way(how)was the solstice etc celebrated here prior to Alexander Keiller's renovation work or did people(various worshippers) "reclaim the site" after the stones were re-erected? When the stones were lying awry surely they wouldn't have "aligned" with the sun, the moon and Harry etc...maybe nobody knows...which is fair enough...but usually there is a mine of info gleaned from other posters.

Stukeley understood that the axis of the monument ,supported by what was to be come recognised as the Avenue was roughly solstitial .
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jun 22, 2011, 08:49
Does anyone know or are there any accounts as to, in what way(how)was the solstice etc celebrated here prior to Alexander Keiller's renovation work or did people(various worshippers) "reclaim the site" after the stones were re-erected?

Interesting question Mr R.

There probably were small numbers of people who went to Avebury prior to Keiller’s restorations, and went there for what we might now call ‘pagan’ reasons (ditto Stonehenge etc) but the mind-set must surely have been very different then compared to the good elements of present day attendees at such places (let alone the bad ones!). Not sure when large numbers of ‘revellers’ started going to Stonehenge, but in the 60s I can’t recall large numbers at Avebury at any time of the year (as a student just down the road at Swindon, Avebury, Silbury WKLB were places we often went to and they were always very, very quiet).

The focus was all different wasn’t it: Mods and Rockers had gone, the Beatnik age was drawing to a close and the Hippie age was dawning – maybe that’s when things started changing, with an accompanying increase in travel not only within national borders but internationally as well. There was a lot more serious thought around back then and a desire to learn about things new – you can see it in the music, poetry etc of the time; that’s something you don’t see so much of at solstice gatherings today, as Nigel has rightly pointed out above.

Still, returning to your original question: might be worthwhile trawling through the Swindon Advertiser for happenings at Avebury up to the middle of the last century – would make for an interesting study. There was another Swindon newspaper that only flourished for a few years in the 60s called the Swindon Gazette (or it might have been the Swindon Chronicle) which had a slightly more ‘liberal’ approach to reporting :-)
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jun 22, 2011, 08:56
Littlestone wrote:
Does anyone know or are there any accounts as to, in what way(how)was the solstice etc celebrated here prior to Alexander Keiller's renovation work or did people(various worshippers) "reclaim the site" after the stones were re-erected?

There probably were small numbers of people who went to Avebury prior to Keiller’s restorations, and went there for what we might now call ‘pagan’ reasons (ditto Stonehenge etc) but the mind-set must surely have been very different then compared to the good elements of present day attendees at such places (let alone the bad ones!). Not sure when large numbers of ‘revellers’ started going to Stonehenge, but in the 60s I can’t recall large numbers at Avebury at any time of the year (as a student just down the road at Swindon, Avebury, Silbury WKLB were places we often went to and they were always very, very quiet).

The focus was all different wasn’t it: Mods and Rockers had gone, the Beatnik age was drawing to a close and the Hippie age was dawning – maybe that’s when things started changing, with an accompanying increase in travel not only within national borders but internationally as well. There was a lot more serious thought around back then and a desire to learn about things new – you can see it in the music, poetry etc of the time; that’s something you don’t see so much of at solstice gatherings today, as Nigel has rightly pointed out above.

Still, returning to your original question: might be worthwhile trawling through the Swindon Advertiser for happenings at Avebury up to the middle of the last century – would make for an interesting study. There was another Swindon newspaper that only flourished for a few years in the 60s called the Swindon Gazette (or it might have been the Swindon Chronicle) which had a slightly more ‘liberal’ approach to reporting :-)

ooops just made me realise I was blethering shite in earlier post .
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jun 22, 2011, 09:14
Littlestone wrote:

Well done LS...you've just reminded me of my age again!!! :D

Yes those were the days when you could wander about quietly and gather your thoughts and not be influenced too much by what others said or believed in. How lucky we were to just go to SH at will and just sit there peacfully without a single thought of doing damage or causing trouble. I wouldn't go there now if you paid me much preferring the much more tranquil sites which have remained so.
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

the lords of misrule
Jun 22, 2011, 09:20
Is it so bad to allow people to briefly take control of stonehenge at the solstice, especially as no lasting damage is done?
Ok litter is dropped, stones are climbed and a hell of a lot of people have a really good time, Stonehenge can handle it for a day. The celebrations are hardly a free-for-all, heavy marshalling and policing esuring that everyone has a safe time and the site does not suffer anything other than superficial damage.
The stones have witnessed destruction, rebuilding using heavy machinery, military manouvres, free festivals, police riot and all manner of abuses, the big old stones have not only survived but have thrived.
Perhaps giving people a focus for their solstice partying takes the pressure away from many of our more vunerable sites and allows a lot of people to joyfully engage with the past on their own terms.
f
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: the lords of misrule
Jun 22, 2011, 11:10
fitzcoraldo wrote:
Is it so bad to allow people to briefly take control of stonehenge at the solstice, especially as no lasting damage is done?
Ok litter is dropped, stones are climbed and a hell of a lot of people have a really good time, Stonehenge can handle it for a day. The celebrations are hardly a free-for-all, heavy marshalling and policing esuring that everyone has a safe time and the site does not suffer anything other than superficial damage.
The stones have witnessed destruction, rebuilding using heavy machinery, military manouvres, free festivals, police riot and all manner of abuses, the big old stones have not only survived but have thrived.
Perhaps giving people a focus for their solstice partying takes the pressure away from many of our more vunerable sites and allows a lot of people to joyfully engage with the past on their own terms.
f

Hi Fitz ,long time no see . Do you think we should treat the punters at Stonehenge as we did the original Lords of Misrule , i.e. cutting their throats after the the celebration(s) , or is that going too far ?
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index