Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Silbury Upwards Sun Roll.
May 08, 2011, 09:06
goffik wrote:
Is there a marked location from where this is viewed, or is it just in a field or summat? What I mean by that is if it were such a major role of Silbury, then wouldn't the optimal viewing position be marked by a stone or mound or such?

It does look nice tho, whether it be by accident or design. :)

G x

There is an optimal point to view it but it is not marked , probably because it was never noticed and even if it was why mark it ? .It's just a fortuitous , beautiful combination of light and ancient monument .
Resonox
604 posts

May 08, 2011, 09:08
If there isn't a definitive (original)marker...does that indicate that upward or downward rolls can be watched by being in a right place at the right time (ie the viewer moving around the mound on any day to ensure the sunrise/set is in appropriate position)...anytime of the year, a movable feast if you will and unlike other constructs which only offer this event at solstice etc.....or does it only occur here at certain times of the year too?
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited May 08, 2011, 10:21
May 08, 2011, 09:20
Not every day as the sun's slope only corresponds with Silbury's slope on a certain number of days but if you're willing to settle for a "short roll" or to move around you can increase the number of days.

Here's another downwards one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmO2rlAr0JY&feature=relmfu

If you want good evidence of intentionality though, what's needed is a tunnel straight through it. How cool would that be?! ;)
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

May 08, 2011, 09:43
nigelswift wrote:
Not every day as the sun's slope only corresponds with Silbury's slope on a certain number of days but if you're willing to settle for a "short roll" or to move around you can increase the number of days.

Here's another downwards one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmO2rlAr0JY&feature=relmfu

If you want good evidence of intentionality though, what's needed is a tunnel straight through it. How cool would that be?! ;)

I think I have seen all of these , none are from the same spot or it's only a bit of the hill that the sun is seen to roll up/down more importantly it tdoesn't work at equinox .In this case once again the observation point was moved to accomodate the fact the sun was drifting from the same angle as the slope also the whole of the slope was never going to be included as Knoll Down ? was getting in the way too .
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

May 08, 2011, 09:54
Resonox wrote:
If there isn't a definitive (original)marker...does that indicate that upward or downward rolls can be watched by being in a right place at the right time (ie the viewer moving around the mound on any day to ensure the sunrise/set is in appropriate position)...anytime of the year, a movable feast if you will and unlike other constructs which only offer this event at solstice etc.....or does it only occur here at certain times of the year too?

There is one unmarked optimal area to see the event without having to move . It occurs twice a year around 25 July is the other date .
Which other constructs that offer this at Solstice were you thinking about ?
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

May 08, 2011, 10:47
Yes, its a great looking sequence (tweaked or not). I would love to be out there to witness it but transport and all that ...

Good to see links to Marina Graham's work; as well as being a talented artist (sculptor) she is a an open and warm hearted person. I had intended to edit my earlier post to give her a mention so thanks for doing that.
Chris Collyer
849 posts

Win Hill sun roll
May 08, 2011, 11:47
There's apparently a sun roll down the slope of Win Hill visible from Hordron Edge circle in Derbyshire that occurs around 11th November and 2nd February. I've never managed to see it myself but it was recorded by John Barnatt in the late 70's.

-Chris
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Edited May 08, 2011, 13:27
Re: Win Hill sun roll
May 08, 2011, 12:20
Chris Collyer wrote:
There's apparently a sun roll down the slope of Win Hill visible from Hordron Edge circle in Derbyshire that occurs around 11th November and 2nd February. I've never managed to see it myself but it was recorded by John Barnatt in the late 70's.

-Chris

Thanks Chris , just checked and certainly the orienation to Win Hill from the circle would have a sunset around 9th November and 2nd February (close to the minor standstill and worth a mention ) but the angle of the sun set is 33 degrees and the hill slope , apart from the actual summit which would supply a few seconds of "roll", is nothing like that being far too shallow . What is needed is the classic regular tent shaped slope and a lot of it if you are not too close .
Resonox
604 posts

May 08, 2011, 13:36
tiompan wrote:
Resonox wrote:

There is one unmarked optimal area to see the event without having to move . It occurs twice a year around 25 July is the other date .

I've searched for my reference and can't find it, sorry....however I do recall there was something on here(TMA) a while back about a(possibly long dismantled) site where it was a triple sunset that could be viewed...and guess what...I'll be jiggered if I can trace that either....HELP!!!
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

May 08, 2011, 13:46
Resonox wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Resonox wrote:

I've searched for my reference and can't find it, sorry....however I do recall there was something on here(TMA) a while back about a(possibly long dismantled) site where it was a triple sunset that could be viewed...and guess what...I'll be jiggered if I can trace that either....HELP!!!

Maes Howe ? ,not that it is dismantled but it does have the reappearing sun . There are plenty of unintentional man made alignments ,many south facing homes have their walls aligned on the equinoxes etc , mine does , although I doubt it was a consideration for the original builder .
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index