Silbury Sun Roll.

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Silbury Sun Roll.
May 07, 2011, 16:22
A wee reminder that next Sunday through to Tuesday should be good days , weather permitting , for the Silbury sun roll . This phenomena involves the sun “rolling “ down the side of the man made mound when seen from the site of the contemporaneous palisaded enclosures . This demonstrates that the ancestors were not just a bunch of mound building navvies , and as there is no corresponding “roll up “ the hill , it is obvious they were actually creating a topographical metaphor for their future “descendents “and it has taken until now for us to appreciate it , there is so much more to decode .
Coat , cough ,seriously though . It is a perfectly natural phenomena , there has been little change to the hill since and the what is seen today is no different from what it would have looked like approx 4500 years ago when the hill was completed , if it was ever noticed .
Fortunately it wasn’t discovered by those who’s agenda might construe such an event as something archaeoastronomically salient , otherwise we would never hear the end of it .
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Silbury Sun Roll.
May 07, 2011, 16:33
Oh blimey you had me going there!

Actually, I bet it DOES get adopted as a.... well, you know the rest.

I suppose the sun adopts a different roll angle every day so it was bound to happen one day in the year. Ditto all of Tesco's roofs.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

May 07, 2011, 16:46
Are you suggesting that the ancients who first designed Tesco's roofs had greater plans than merely keeping the ancient shoppers dry on a wet day? Whooa! That's made me re-evaluate a few things, I can tell you...

In the 70s, the old Tesco building had a hole in the roof that, at certain times, you could probably see the sun through.

AND their 4 bottles of beer for a fiver deals aren't to be sniffed at, either! (Other supermarkets are available)

G x
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

May 07, 2011, 16:57
nigelswift wrote:

I suppose the sun adopts a different roll angle every day so it was bound to happen one day in the year. Ditto all of Tesco's roofs.

The maximum difference of rise and set angles in the UK is between 20-40 .Near the solstices it changes quicker than at the equinoxes .
It needs the sun to set or rise at the same angle as the slope but also be in the right place to allow it to be seen , so no guarantees even with hills /man made mounds with the right angle . The horizon is very imporatnt too .If the horizon from the palidaded enclosure was higher it wouldn't work , i.e. if Waden Hill wasn't in the way you might have seen a "roll up " .They are quite common but go unnoticed because people don't stand about or don't happen to be in the right spot at the right time .
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

May 07, 2011, 17:20
tiompan wrote:
A wee reminder that next Sunday through to Tuesday should be good days , weather permitting , for the Silbury sun roll . This phenomena involves the sun “rolling “ down the side of the man made mound when seen from the site of the contemporaneous palisaded enclosures . This demonstrates that the ancestors were not just a bunch of mound building navvies , and as there is no corresponding “roll up “ the hill , it is obvious they were actually creating a topographical metaphor for their future “descendents “and it has taken until now for us to appreciate it , there is so much more to decode .
Coat , cough ,seriously though . It is a perfectly natural phenomena , there has been little change to the hill since and the what is seen today is no different from what it would have looked like approx 4500 years ago when the hill was completed , if it was ever noticed .
Fortunately it wasn’t discovered by those who’s agenda might construe such an event as something archaeoastronomically salient , otherwise we would never hear the end of it .

Damnation..I'd booked that week off as well :D
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

May 07, 2011, 17:22
nigelswift wrote:

Every little helps!
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

May 07, 2011, 19:42
tiompan wrote:

This was an impressive piece of work Tiompan ... I've still got my copy of the Fortean Times in which it first appeared. Just to remind anyone who didn't know, Steve Marshall wrote up the article as a collaboration with yourself and Pete Glastonbury, which later appeared in an expanded version for 'Time and Mind'.

Note: Steve is also doing the driving for the inaugural Henge Hopper bus-trip tomorrow.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited May 08, 2011, 07:14
Re: Silbury Upwards Sun Roll.
May 08, 2011, 05:56
See this -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IsOPkfWYBI&feature=channel

As predicted, said to be deliberate. Great sequence though. Shame they moved the camera to preserve the effect. Suggests the roll isn't quite parallel - but if they'd shown the sun a little above the slope like the other one does it would have worked without needing to shift position. You can tell that by referencing the position of the tree lined up with the extreme left edge of Silbury which stays the same through most of the sequence.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

May 08, 2011, 07:18
nigelswift wrote:
See this -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IsOPkfWYBI&feature=channel

As predicted, said to be deliberate. Great sequence though. Shame they moved the camera to preserve the effect. Suggests the roll isn't quite parallel - but if they'd shown the sun a little above the slope like the other one does it would have worked without needing to shift position. You can tell that by referencing the position of the tree lined up with the extreme left edge of Silbury which stays the same through most of the sequence.

There are a couple of examples of previous Rolls " unfortunately they change position as you point out ,or the sun only rolls for a small section of the slope or the sun moves " into or away " from the slope " ,both easily achieved .There is only one point where the whole sun rolls down the entire slope keeping , a constant relation between both edges and no change of position is needed to film it .
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

May 08, 2011, 08:55
Is there a marked location from where this is viewed, or is it just in a field or summat? What I mean by that is if it were such a major role of Silbury, then wouldn't the optimal viewing position be marked by a stone or mound or such?

It does look nice tho, whether it be by accident or design. :)

G x
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index