Wind farms in Scotland

80 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6219 posts

Re: OT: Government's attitude to green energy
Nov 24, 2011, 22:42
This is a sensible and level-headed approach to the debate, even though I think my own, admittedly uninformed, view is probably somewhat different from yours. I interpret your view as being that you remain to be convinced of the fact that climate change is a direct result of human activity (or contributed to by human activity), but could be convinced that this is so if compelling evidence were to be produced. Conversely, I remain to be convinced that human activity is not responsible for the changes (or at least not a significant contributory factor). It may be that the answer lies in the middle ground anyway (i.e. climate change is a natural process but human activity is accelerating or altering that process).

As Moss said elsewhere in the thread, most of us are not sufficiently well-informed to know much more than we can observe ourselves and gather from the news and papers. We have to believe someone, or at least form a view based on as much unbiased information as is available.

The difficulty that a layperson has, is that there are many vested interests at play, both commercial and political, which inevitably cloud any objective view of the issue. The other problem with the need for proof is that convincing and unarguable evidence either way could be decades away, by which time it may be even more "too late" than it is now.

In some ways, and ironically coming from an aetheist, I perhaps take my position from a similar position to Pascal's view of God - it's safer to believe that humans can influence climate change and try to play a small part in improving that effect, than to believe they can't, and inadvertently make things worse.

I certainly welcome the debate though.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index