Wind farms in Scotland

Pages: 8 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
moss
moss
2897 posts

Wind farms in Scotland
Mar 11, 2011, 09:42
Going through the news, wind farms always pop up, the one that is only relevant to TMA at the moment is the Isle of Lewis's wind farm which was reduced to 33 turbines from about 100, with an extra six being called for last year. Though the John Muir Trust is still fighting and has made an objection to the extra 6, here in February of this year...

http://www.jmt.org/responses-planning-muaitheabhal-extension.asp

Given that Tigh na Cailleach is experiencing the same problems, the assault on 'wild land' and in the case of Callanish, peatlands plus the rare eagles that could be killed by flying into the turbines, it is perhaps well to remember that such schemes are often funded by wealthy city financier's - Nicholas Oppenheim is behind the Callanish one....the same will probably be for Tigh na cailleach (it is a holding of farms based in Oxford).

It would be interesting to find out how many of these multi renewable energy schemes exist in Scotland, and is it one of those 'raids' on Scottish heritage lands - think forests and profit....

And what brought all that on? ;) well it was this bit of news this morning... thats a helluva lot of wind farms!

http://www.gallowaygazette.co.uk/news/local-headlines/carsecreugh_fell_wind_farm_decision_delayed_1_1507910

"The wind farms of Artfield Fell (15 turbines with an extension under consideration for seven more), North Rhins (11 turbines), Barlockhart Moor (four turbines), Arecleoch (60 turbines), Ochiltree (10 turbines), Glenvernoch (nine turbines) Glenchamber (11 turbines), Kilgallioch (132 turbines), Chirmorrie (60 turbines), Derskelpin (27 turbines), Balunton Hill (18 turbines) are already either in operation or have been under consideration north and west of Newton Stewart between Wigtownshire and South Ayrshire and from certain points on the landscape, five wind farms may be visible at one time."
BigSweetie
BigSweetie
806 posts

Re: Wind farms in Scotland
Mar 11, 2011, 13:50
That article begs the question aren't site visits always required for planning applications?
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Mar 11, 2011, 14:17
Maybe it is a case(s) of big back pockets and even bigger paper bags :-(
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Mar 11, 2011, 19:08
Mar 11, 2011, 15:43
I'm the last to want to see beautiful wild places despoiled by wind turbines or solar panels for that matter but they are a fact of life, in my view less damaging than electricity pylons marching across the landscape.

What are the other options? Wave/tidal projects or new nuclear power stations. Existing nuclear power stations are being decommissioned, fossil fuels are running out, oil producing countries can now hold the world to ransom.

Cornwall has had wind farms for about twenty years. No one wants to live near them because of the noise rather than pollution. We are running out of options.
Resonox
604 posts

Mar 11, 2011, 19:20
BigSweetie wrote:
That article begs the question aren't site visits always required for planning applications?

I did ask in another thread about ancient sites being ruined due to these modern day windmills(does railing against them make us modern day Don Quixotes?).......I think Tiompan said there were usually site walkovers, to check the areas proposed...but often sites/stones were missed....

By accident or design??? I'd say the latter
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Mar 11, 2011, 19:58
Resonox wrote:
BigSweetie wrote:

I did ask in another thread about ancient sites being ruined due to these modern day windmills(does railing against them make us modern day Don Quixotes?).......I think Tiompan said there were usually site walkovers, to check the areas proposed...but often sites/stones were missed....

By accident or design??? I'd say the latter

To be fair I don't think in most cases there is any conspiracy and even incompetence might be a bit harsh so I'll go for oversight .or lack of that particular experience .
Resonox
604 posts

Mar 11, 2011, 20:12
I suppose certain things might be disregarded ...because of seeming insignificance....if the surveyors are looking for largish stones or constructs.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Mar 11, 2011, 20:15
Resonox wrote:
I suppose certain things might be disregarded ...because of seeming insignificance....if the surveyors are looking for largish stones or constructs.

In the case of rock art they just don't notice it unless it is obvious and if it is under turf then they shouldn't be expeceted to deal with that .
faerygirl
412 posts

Mar 12, 2011, 21:10
tiompan wrote:
Resonox wrote:

In the case of rock art they just don't notice it unless it is obvious and if it is under turf then they shouldn't be expeceted to deal with that .

The thing is, most stones seem like nothing to most people. My family (for example) can appreciate photos of Stonehenge or Avebury, but when I show them Mitchells Fold or Doll Tor they think I'm a bit mad, "Some tiny stones? I've got some of them in the garden if you wanna take some photos!"

Rock art is just as hard. We have all spent at least one day on a hillside with a map wondering round in circles saying "where the bloody hell is it?!" so even the more experienced of us know that its hard to account for everything!

Besides, I like wind farms. I think they look amazing and are necessary.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Mar 13, 2011, 08:01
faerygirl wrote:

Besides, I like wind farms. I think they look amazing and are necessary.

I like wind farms as well, they have a stately grace in the landscape, so really I was'nt quibbling about them, but their numbers in remote glens, and of course the infrastructure that brings them down to the central grid.
Pages: 8 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index