Avebury »
Developments at Avebury

Pages: 36 – [ Previous | 130 31 32 33 34 35 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
hedgeling
9 posts

Re: Developments at Avebury
Nov 24, 2011, 12:53
The only real way we will ever be afford to get a complete picture what avebury looked like would be if you could write a feature film and get them to pay for the models and computer generated reconstructions. id go with the arthur merlin saga. The main criticism of the Athurarian saga has always been that it is set in a norman/medieval setting as everyone knows there were no castles until norman times. Well this is blantantly not true as Silbury had a tower on it in saxon times and probably earlier, and marden had ramparts, and a mound and tower perhaps. So if you make a leap of faith as say Stonehenge is the roundtable of myth, and marden is camelot and Avebury is the great nemeton and Merlin the archdruid. They found " the slaughter stones" near Avebury flat stones marking mass graves, the skeletons hacked about. if there was a battle maybe during the 2nd roman invasion then we have the roman taking avebury, burning stonehenge and sacking marden. Arthur injured in the last battle(Liddington) as the kingdom falls, and fleeing first to bath with the romans on their heals. The romans take bath and the druids flee west to bristol and take ship to angelsea, whist arthur sails for avalon to get healing. then you have the roman invasion of angelsea and bouddican revolution, the rumour is arthur lives and will lead then in the final battle against the romans, but arthur is dead and the day is lost. Get the guy who directed Lord of the Rings to be the director and were sorted. Anyway if wishes were tenners id be rich.
hedgeling
9 posts

Nov 24, 2011, 13:59
Maybe, but would take some detective work to find out, if records do exsist. What date is the church? Pewsey church has got sarsen stones as foundations. Anyway it is a miracle so much of avebury survived.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Nov 25, 2011, 07:42
hedgeling wrote:
Maybe, but would take some detective work to find out, if records do exsist. What date is the church? Pewsey church has got sarsen stones as foundations. Anyway it is a miracle so much of avebury survived.

Your post also made me consider the amount of 'upkeep' the Complex would have required when it was in 'use' hedgeling. It must have been a 24/7 job keeping it up together. IF the bank and ditch around the Great Circle and Silbury were purposely kept as chalk and green free as some believe, that alone must have been an ongoing job for sure.
VBB
558 posts

Nov 25, 2011, 08:40
Sanctuary wrote:
hedgeling wrote:

Your post also made me consider the amount of 'upkeep' the Complex would have required when it was in 'use' hedgeling. It must have been a 24/7 job keeping it up together. IF the bank and ditch around the Great Circle and Silbury were purposely kept as chalk and green free as some believe, that alone must have been an ongoing job for sure.

I recall Fred Flintsone wheeling a bird that cut the grass.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Nov 26, 2011, 07:20
VBB wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
hedgeling wrote:

I recall Fred Flintsone wheeling a bird that cut the grass.

Yes that was the prototype of the 'Fly'-mo!!!:-)
hedgeling
9 posts

Dec 12, 2011, 18:35
The question that everyone always asks is why is the ditch on the inside? It cant be defensive so must be a sacred site. The answer to this riddle is in part your referral to resources. There are two sorts of walls, barrier. That being manned and unmanned. If the barrier is manned like a pallisade then it would require a lot of resources in maintance and to defend them, but it does make sense to have an exterior ditch, to slow down the enemy whilst shooting him down. If an unmanned barrier like a hedge (and there is plenty of evidence for anchient boundary hedges) is to be used, as easy to maintain and does not need large numbers to defend. Then you have the central area with the standing stones for cover as you shoot the enemy trying to break through the hedge and negotiate the ditch. If this theory is applied to the Wansdyke you have outer defenses for avebury as well.
hedgeling
9 posts

Dec 12, 2011, 19:10
Having witnessed the field clearences at coate/ broom manor i would say that some of the large stones were likely to have been on site before the monument was erected. Also some of the Burning pits may just be field clearance. There are piles of sarsen all over the place, that are field clearance.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Dec 12, 2011, 21:05
hedgeling wrote:
Having witnessed the field clearences at coate/ broom manor i would say that some of the large stones were likely to have been on site before the monument was erected. Also some of the Burning pits may just be field clearance. There are piles of sarsen all over the place, that are field clearance.

Oh I don't think many people still believe that all the stones were dragged off the Downs. Plenty would have been local I'm sure and possibly many more still lying beneath beneath plough depth in the immediate area.
hedgeling
9 posts

Dec 15, 2011, 16:41
They were mining sarsens at Westwoods i believe. digging opencast pits and dragging the sarsens out.
hedgeling
9 posts

Dec 19, 2011, 21:15
Id quite happily remove all the buildings or most of them from the sanctuary, it would be possible to divert the road behind the manor and along the winterbourne. you could join the bottom of the high street to avebury trusloe with a new road and have a single village once more. Could put the Red Lion at the cross roads. the odd picturesque cottage like the henge shop would not hurt left in the sanctuary. Its not like it would cost billions like a tunnel. Do you know the origin of the word henge Sanctuary. Seams very similar to hedge, sanctuary.
Pages: 36 – [ Previous | 130 31 32 33 34 35 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index