Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Re: Highlight of 2010
Dec 23, 2010, 15:36
moss wrote:

Well I know Juamei's highlight of the year, but those christening piccies are gorgeous ;)

The question was megalithic treat :)

Mine is Bamford Moor South, but then I haven't been out so much in 2010. Isolated and pretty.

I did also spend an enjoyable few hours walking a long circular route on Exmoor up near Two Gates, that was educational and very enjoyable. It was June and I started at about 7pm, causing a passing rescue helicopter to change course to do a fly over and see if I was ok on my own at that time of night... :)
Kid Calamity
9050 posts

Edited Dec 23, 2010, 23:08
Dec 23, 2010, 16:26
Finally getting to Avebury would have to be a personal highlight for me, too! I also managed to get to Castlerigg for the first time - on a lovely Summer's day.

Here, btw is a little clip from my visit to Avebury, set to some music I've recently made with a few chums. Somehow, whilst editing this I sort of didn't use much of the footage I did of the stones themselves. However, I am in the process of doing another clip.

http://vimeo.com/18080692

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JoeVa6Ye38
wideford
1086 posts

Dec 23, 2010, 17:10
Has to be the Ness of Brodgar again ; monumental 'houses', painted walls, standing stone, rock art, prehistoric tiles etc. The gift that keeps on giving - shame us muggles not allowed to show the presents themselves ;-)
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6224 posts

Dec 23, 2010, 19:34
Been a bit of a year of megalithic wonder this year:

I've largely ignored the Cotswolds this year, but Belas Knap during last winter's lot of deep snow was a bit of a treat. At the start of the year I visited a few less well known sites in Herefordshire and Shropshire, and visited the Rollrights for the first time, way back in January.

We started our Offa's Dyke Path odyssey, I think it'll be a long time before we reach the southern shore though.

We managed to get to St Marys and Tresco on the Isles of Scilly in the Summer, as well as all the usual Penwith circles and some other stuff, including a few firsts like Drift and the Blind Fiddler.

Our Scotland trip took in Clava, a huge wow of a site, which we had to ourselves. From a wider landscape point of view, Scotland's Highlands blew me away and we will go back when we can.

The biggest area of mind-blowing wonder though was the uplands and mountains of south Wales. From a snowy Blorenge and a hail-blasted Fan Gyhirych in the Spring, through Summer treks up most of the Black Mountains and Brecon Beacons in various weathers there have been so many highlights. Cerrig Duon and Maen Mawr was a particularly great "first" and directly inspired a heartfelt re-connection with stone circles that took me to Dartmoor (four times in the Summer) and Avebury, as well as very long overdue revisits to Stanton Moor/Nine Stones Close/Doll Tor and to Four Stones.

Autumn took us back to Penwith and watching the sunset over a deserted Nine Maidens of Boskednan was probably the biggest highlight of the lot.

Have a great Christmas Carl (and everyone else)!
GLADMAN
953 posts

Dec 23, 2010, 19:49
Regular viewers of the site will no doubt be aware I've been engaged upon my 'Citizen Cairn'd' trip throughout 2010, trying to visit/revisit as many of the great upland cairns as I can before the apathy kicks in and hostile mountaintops don't seem that enticing anymore. It happens, apparently.

My highlight of 2010 is therefore a visit to the - for me - incomparable Pumlumon:
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/4167/pen_pumlumonarwystli_cairns.html

However the utterly unexpected Bronze Age gems upon Tair Carn Uchaf were not far behind:
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/12941/tair_carn_uchaf.html

2010 also saw my first visit to the equally incomparable East Kennett Long Barrow, which, judging by the fieldnote, blew me away. As well it might:
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/302/east_kennett_longbarrow.html

Not to forget another fortnight around dear old Scotland tracking down some of Greywether's beauties... none finer sited than at Port Sonachan:
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/6145/port_sonachan.html

Hope everyone makes it through the next week unscathed and that 2011 is a good year for all TMA-er's and humankind in general. Cheers. It has been emotional.
GLADMAN
953 posts

Dec 23, 2010, 20:10
thesweetcheat wrote:
The biggest area of mind-blowing wonder though was the uplands and mountains of south Wales. From a snowy Blorenge and a hail-blasted Fan Gyhirych in the Spring, through Summer treks up most of the Black Mountains and Brecon Beacons in various weathers there have been so many highlights. Cerrig Duon and Maen Mawr was a particularly great "first" and directly inspired a heartfelt re-connection with stone circles that took me to Dartmoor (four times in the Summer) and Avebury, as well as very long overdue revisits to Stanton Moor/Nine Stones Close/Doll Tor and to Four Stones.....

It's a very long time - if ever? - that I've heard anyone refer to the hills of South Wales as an area of 'mind-blowing wonder'....certainly not any of the Welsh in my family! I love the enthusiam you bring to TMA, SC and I'm frankly in awe of your mammoth walks. From a thoroughly non-altruistic viewpoint...keep it up.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6224 posts

Dec 23, 2010, 20:44
GLADMAN wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
The biggest area of mind-blowing wonder though was the uplands and mountains of south Wales. From a snowy Blorenge and a hail-blasted Fan Gyhirych in the Spring, through Summer treks up most of the Black Mountains and Brecon Beacons in various weathers there have been so many highlights. Cerrig Duon and Maen Mawr was a particularly great "first" and directly inspired a heartfelt re-connection with stone circles that took me to Dartmoor (four times in the Summer) and Avebury, as well as very long overdue revisits to Stanton Moor/Nine Stones Close/Doll Tor and to Four Stones.....

It's a very long time - if ever? - that I've heard anyone refer to the hills of South Wales as an area of 'mind-blowing wonder'....certainly not any of the Welsh in my family! I love the enthusiam you bring to TMA, SC and I'm frankly in awe of your mammoth walks. From a thoroughly non-altruistic viewpoint...keep it up.

Thanks very much my friend. You are of course aware that your own pictures and inspiring fieldnotes are what got me out there in the first place. I hope that the legs hold out and I can keep on next year!
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2561 posts

Dec 23, 2010, 21:59
thesweetcheat wrote:
GLADMAN wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:

Thanks very much my friend. You are of course aware that your own pictures and inspiring fieldnotes are what got me out there in the first place. I hope that the legs hold out and I can keep on next year!

And you both inspire me!
postman
848 posts

Dec 23, 2010, 22:00
I know a highlight has to be by definition just one place and moment in time, but I get about quite a bit and have narrowed it down to half a dozen.

Spring equinox at Arbor low,

Summer solstice at the Druids circle,

Autumn equinox at a fog bound King Arthurs hall,

Carnedd y Saeson not far from the Druids circle and very close to Aber falls,

Casleruddery over in County Ireland,

and just the other day at snowy Cist Cerrig near Portmadoc,

Lifes toooooo short for just one highlight a year, hoping for Orkney next year fingers crossed.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2561 posts

Edited Dec 23, 2010, 22:10
Dec 23, 2010, 22:08
Monnael Hill, first ever cup marked stone discovery. Cardluncart Hill and Trancie Hill favourite cairns. Taking a tent and camping at Tarland and Lumphanan hiking all over the place taking in over 30 sites.

Glass will be raised to everybody on Hogmanay!
Pages: 4 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index