The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Re: 'Ancient Worlds' - BBC4
Nov 16, 2010, 18:50
tiompan wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
tiompan wrote:
The Sea Cat wrote:
Unfortunately, his views of Ancient Egypt were woefully inaccurate, and this put me off watching any further. To casually dismiss such a fascinating and civilised culture as xenophobic, and obsessed with death and the occult was a very poor and misleading historical analysis. As well as being highly learned and philosophically advanced, they were under constant threat from neighbouring envious civilisations, and would only go to war to protect their borders. The Babylonians, however, when encountering any stranger would rip out their tongue and disembowel them on the spot, no questions asked, regardless of age and gender. The Assyrians were equally warlike, agressive and unpleasant. He didn't seem to understand historical context in the case of the Egyptians, that's for sure!

Apologies for yet abother grumpy post tjj, from a disgruntled History buff and Michael Woods fan ! :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGMqGaarvzs&feature=related

ps. to no one in particular : the Pyrammids were not built by slaves either, but by generations of skilled artisans and labourers, who were very well paid and accommodated!

edited

He was referring to Bronze Age Egypt and xenophobia , partly due to the Hyksos invasion , is fair comment for that period .

So, 'obsessed' by death and the occult is from the same period, I take it ?

:-)

I did specify the use of xenophobic as being appropriate for the period , the other two could also possibly apply to earlier periods but I didn't mention them .

They were actually quite culturaly inclusive during this period, the Bronze Age, their height, in the same way that the future idea of Roman Citizenship became.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index