Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Rock art. so what's that all about then. ?

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Rock art. so what's that all about then. ?
Jul 27, 2010, 15:45
faerygirl wrote:
Yeah I wansnt suggesting that Hallucinogens are the only way to get into a trance state.

Not only are drugs or hallucinations not required for the production of the motifs , trance isn't either .
faerygirl
412 posts

Jul 27, 2010, 19:54
tiompan wrote:
faerygirl wrote:
Yeah I wansnt suggesting that Hallucinogens are the only way to get into a trance state.

Not only are drugs or hallucinations not required for the production of the motifs , trance isn't either .

Christ on a bike I get it, you dont agree! Its ok, I will shut up ;)
faerygirl
412 posts

Jul 27, 2010, 20:06
goffik wrote:
Was it called "I'm A Celebrity, And I'm So Off My Nut I Think I Can Speak To Dead Relatives - Get Me Out Of Here!"?

;)

G x

Har de har har har.

My brain keeps telling me it was Bruce Parry but maybe he only did the Iboga root and that weird snuff. So maybe not him. I cant remember. I will ask the other half when he gets home, his memory is better than mine :)
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Aug 02, 2010, 09:38
Resonox wrote:
Are there any recorded "prehistoric" carvings in the UK of anything other than cups and spirals?...Other than things like the Cissbury paintings, I can't think of anything carved..the oldest I know for sure being pictish...anyone more clued up?

First pic here do ?
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/73712/menteith.html#comments

Orkney has quite a collection of geometric stuff , probably more of it elsewhere that has gone unrecognised .
revnox
92 posts

Aug 02, 2010, 10:55
Maps!
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Aug 02, 2010, 11:21
revnox wrote:
Maps!

This is a common response , problems are coming up with a one that works ,i.e. find an example of rock art that maps the local terrain or sky ,or anywhere else for that matter .
Often rock art panels are found in clumps and are quite different from each other ,which is the map and what are the others if not maps i.e. they can't all be maps of the local terrain because they differ so much .
What would be the point of probably the most common motif in rock art , the single cup mark , what sort of a map is that ?
Why assume the engravers had a need or inclination or even thought of the landscape in the birds eye view manner of map?
Maps tend to be portable ,they are not much use when static .
revnox
92 posts

Aug 02, 2010, 15:58
not maps as in cartography of the physical landscape!
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Aug 02, 2010, 16:11
revnox wrote:
not maps as in cartography of the physical landscape!

Maps of what then ?
nix
nix
201 posts

Aug 02, 2010, 21:57
Resonox wrote:
Are there any recorded "prehistoric" carvings in the UK of anything other than cups and spirals?...Other than things like the Cissbury paintings, I can't think of anything carved..the oldest I know for sure being pictish...anyone more clued up?

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/28113/aberdeenshire.html
nix
nix
201 posts

Aug 02, 2010, 22:05
The 'Labyrinths' (many of which are actually Spirals) in the Solovetsky Islands are interesting in this respect. That was a shamanic culture and the spiral is held to have been a metaphor for death / the unconcious

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_labyrinths_of_Bolshoi_Zayatsky_Island
http://geophoto.ru/?action=collection&id=917
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index