32 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Scarysas
3 posts

Re: Images
Aug 01, 2014, 12:30
megadread wrote:
Rockrich wrote:
cheers for all this Megadread, looks a wonderful find. I agree with Chris about the similarities to 'tutha carving in the wood - the place looks to have a unique style, a touch away from the 'usual' cup and ring tradition.

Could the circular stone possibly be the base of a quern - any sign of abrasion?

Haha, no worries, tis our duty (and an absolute pleasure) to look into such things innit, afaik i'm the member that lives closest to this thing, though Holy might give me a run for my money.

Just happy that the pics have been published now.
You know, the Sheffield star was given the pics when they published the article but they didn't use any of them, weird as such finds are obviously rare around these parts, money talks though dunnit.

As for the stone i found i reckon it's a modern piece of "sculpture", probably dumped from someones garden when it didn't work out as they planned.
It did remind me of the much larger one i found by Ash Cabin Flat stone circle though, i mentioned that to John Gilpin and forwarded him the pics, he's archived the file and maybe one day he'll get someone up there to have a look at it.
All in all a pleasant symbiotic affair, nice as there are hints of more things to come. ; )

There was an article in The Star with a photo of John, I thin it was only in the printed version. We probably have a copy in our archive. As for the other stone you talking about this sounds like the one I was talking about earlier. I cant quite figure it out but the expert seems to think is getting on a bit.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index