Ecclesall woods, new RA find. ?

32 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Chris Collyer
849 posts

Re: Ecclesall woods, new RA find. ?
Jul 06, 2010, 13:07
megadread wrote:
...asked me not to visit the site yet for reasons i can't go into... a third portable stone that's been removed from the woods for safe keeping... I have no description of it as yet but do know where it's being stored...

It all sounds very cloak and dagger Geoff ;-)
If they've asked you to keep the info under your hat for now then fair enough, but I wonder if that portable stone is the one that came to light a few years back and then seemed to disappear off the radar. If they are protecting stones from damage/theft or part of an ongoing archaeological investigation I can understand them not revealing locations but it would be good if they could actually bring out reports of findings for the public at the end of it! It sometimes seems to me that the archaeological world can be very proprietorial and possessive about its research, either not releasing information to the public, only making it available to other professionals or sometimes being deliberately vague about locations as if we can't be trusted not to damage a site, I reckon archaeos are often thinking more of their reputations and career paths than of benefiting the wider community. I'm not suggesting that's what going on here Geoff and there's probably info that you've been asked not to reveal but it's frustrating when they dangle these shiny carrots in front of us - 'we've found something really great but we're not going to let anybody look at it' sort of thing.
If your contact is ok with you posting pictures of the stones then that would be great and hats off to you fella for taking the time and effort to find out about them - keep up the good work :-)
-Chris
(appologies for the rant, it's not aimed at anybody just a general frustration at the archaeological world in general)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index