Ecclesall Woods »
Ecclesall woods, new RA find. ?

32 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Chris Collyer
849 posts

Re: Ecclesall woods, new RA find. ?
Jul 06, 2010, 16:19
I don't have an issue if the archaeologist wants to profit from books and brings them out resonably quickly, if I was in their situation I might want to do the same. It would be nice if they would release enough information so we could come to our own conclusions while we wait though. What worries me is when people sit on information for years or just never publish it and it ends up in a filing cabinet somewhere only accessible to professionals and academics. It seems even the pro's get anoyed as well, in their case it's the data held by the commercial sector, have a look at this -

http://www.nature.com/news/2010/100407/full/464826a.html

The amount of information that we (ie the public) have direct access to must be tiny compared to the accumulated knowledge that's held in notes, papers and reports stuffed in drawers that may never see the light of day.

In the case of these stones that Geoff's chasing up it seems there's stuff going on that he's been asked not to repeat, which like I said is fair enough, and at least he's making some headway but my point is that he shouldn't have to be chasing people for information. If the archaeologists have made a discovery at least give us more than a vague press release (we'll buy the book when it come out anyway!)

-Chris
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index