revnox
92 posts

Re: Tidying up offerings
Jun 06, 2010, 14:00
faerygirl wrote:
revnox wrote:
revnox wrote:
faerygirl wrote:

I appreciate you have gone to a lot of trouble for these....but sorry you are still on the wrong track.
You are addressing issues never raised by me, I have not questioned the Christians imposition, murder etc etc on other faiths and cultures.
I merely raised the point that all major religions are culpable and have skeletons in and out of the vestry!
I can see you want to make a point and feel aggrieved however you are addressing the wrong person and the wrong posts.

OOps sorry should have read them first!
Yes they have similarities, yes they are Abrahamic, yes they share some prophets and myths.
Yet they are not the same religion as you stated in "Christianity and Islam are the same religion for most of their writings and prophets"
I will not bore you with the whole expose of why prophetic lineage and theology is different however please consider that Jews did not and do not accept Jesus as the 'messiah' or even a prophet in terms of prophetic lineage (they are still waiting) those that did became christians. muslims accept Jesus as a prophet (not the messiah) but the prophet Mohammed PBUH as the last prophet and revealer of final revelation.

if we follow your logic we can claim that Sikhism is the same as Hinduism or Islam because both traditions where used in the Guru Granth Sahib.
We can claim Buddhism is the Same as Vedanta.
Sorry this is very very naive.
One of the Mughals Dara Shikoh wrote 'the confluence of two oceans' comparing and contrasting Hinduism and Islam but sorry they are not the same thing.

I didnt bring up Jews, you did. But thanks for pointing out where a religion I didnt mention isnt like a religion I did. My point was that Islam and Christianity have the same roots and have behaved in the same way in their attempts at "spreading the word" in ways that other religions havent.

"Christianity and Islam are the same religion for most of their writings and prophets"

I rest my case!
revnox
92 posts

Jun 06, 2010, 14:07
That's me done on this particular topic after reading [OT] Words of advice for legitimate posters.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Jun 06, 2010, 15:05
Thank you June - there is a serious point being lost in the midst of this thread (probably several serious points in fact).
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 07, 2010, 07:17
thesweetcheat wrote:

In other words, waiting for the state to intervene or take over is not a practical answer. Personal responsibility is.

Sure. But the authorities could do more. A notice saying don't leave stuff isn't too much to ask surely?

And a £500 fine for anybody pathetic enough to take tealights into WKLB wouldn't hurt either would it? Persuasion might be the best way but Robust Persuasion works even better!
faerygirl
412 posts

Jun 07, 2010, 10:07
nigelswift wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:

In other words, waiting for the state to intervene or take over is not a practical answer. Personal responsibility is.

Sure. But the authorities could do more. A notice saying don't leave stuff isn't too much to ask surely?

And a £500 fine for anybody pathetic enough to take tealights into WKLB wouldn't hurt either would it? Persuasion might be the best way but Robust Persuasion works even better!

Capel Garmen was full of tea lights the other day, with some rather charming smoke damage to go with them! Lovely...
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 07, 2010, 10:45
And see this at Belas Knap in March (second picture down) http://heritageaction.wordpress.com/2010/03/20/focus-on-belas-knap/
.... but that wasn't the worst, in another of the chambers there were scorch marks fom two camp fires....

I must be getting old. I used to be a lilly livered liberal, all for persuasion, now I want to beat them to death with a rolled up Daily Mail...
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Jun 07, 2010, 20:01
nigelswift wrote:
And see this at Belas Knap in March (second picture down) http://heritageaction.wordpress.com/2010/03/20/focus-on-belas-knap/
.... but that wasn't the worst, in another of the chambers there were scorch marks fom two camp fires....

I must be getting old. I used to be a lilly livered liberal, all for persuasion, now I want to beat them to death with a rolled up Daily Mail...

Ha ha ha!

There's usually a bag full of tea lights to remove from Belas Knap. I removed a hideous "Wiccan" plastic 'n' rust key fob from a tree at Doll Tor this afternoon.

Going back to your earlier post, yes, the authorities could do more but when will people in this country take some responsibility for their own actions? I don't want signs up next to every site (if nothing else because they get in the way of the pictures - selfish I know!).
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 07, 2010, 20:23
No I agree, you can't have signs at every site (for one thing, they're intrusive!) but alongside footpaths leading to some sites wouldn't hurt.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Jun 07, 2010, 20:58
nigelswift wrote:
No I agree, you can't have signs at every site (for one thing, they're intrusive!) but alongside footpaths leading to some sites wouldn't hurt.

It would provide something to set fire to...

:-)
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 14, 2010, 06:49
I guess this issue is pretty much talked out but I thought I'd mention this that I just came across, part of the Rollright Trust conditions for private events.

"Small, light portable decorations, including flowers and other greenery, may be brought to the stone circle but must not be of a form that could cause any damage and must be removed at the end of the visit."
Pages: 31 – [ Previous | 125 26 27 28 29 30 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index