The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Tidying up offerings

Pages: 31 – [ Previous | 123 24 25 26 27 28 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Tidying up offerings
Jun 05, 2010, 17:28
"In fact is this not what we are discussing in the thread?
Impositions whether they be ideological, religious or other wise and an individuals right to freedom of choice."

Eh, what? Jesus H Christ, is that what objecting to littering is characterised as these days? Put me down as an unreconstructed facist then, and wheel me back in me crypt.
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Jun 05, 2010, 17:36
There was a precursor to Monty Python, called Do Not Adjust Your Set, and each week it had a song from the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band. One of them was called the Monster Mash and, on the record but not the TV show, there is a line that goes something like 'here comes Dracula with his group, the Crypt Kicker Five'. Pure Stanshall!
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited Jun 05, 2010, 18:00
Jun 05, 2010, 17:52
BuckyE wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
How are the few that have managed to survive going to be protected against this Yahoo behavior? I ask very seriously.

BTW as I understand the States protection extends ONLY to Federal Land. If you have a Native American site on your private land you can quarry it for stuff to put on EBay. That's bad innit? Oh no, hang on, that's Britain as well. Except here we also give you a £3.3 million reward for finding the REALLY good stuff, that belongs to us already!

There are a mishmosh of laws. Yes, Federal protection applies only to Federal lands and Native reservations. But there are many states with protection laws that apply to private lands. What kind of enforcement is actually applied I don't know. I assume little, but not none.

And thanks to all who have replied with kind words. I apologize for thread hijacking! So here's a warning: if I've highjacked, read no further. This will be my last little rant.

To me, the problems of protection, whether from random Yahoos, hardworking farmers, big business or even government seem to be to be all of a piece, albeit--as you point out--on a spectrum of damage from probably inconsequential to disastrous.

So while it may seem to be one thing to be gracious and respect the freedoms of offerers, or those who wish the sites to be untrammeled and natural; and another to protest governments running roads through them, to me the "crimes" are basically the same thing.

It's a question of the thin end of the wedge. Where is the universally agreeable line between photography, drumming, (eventually dead) flowers, (rotting) fruit, tea lights, dolls' heads, litter, elimination, farming, protesters' purple spray paint, Banksy, much needed transportation systems, etc. etc. Isn't that what this thread is about? Where's "the" line?

All I'm saying is that in true fairness to all, there really isn't one. And that the attempt to draw it is the red herring that leads inexorably from one to the next. Quite likely I seem like Alexander and the knot. And quite likely my own feelings that all modern views about the purposes or nature of the old stones are modern impositions leads me to be able to be crass about those views and therefore irritating. So here's the end to it! Thank you all for being so nice.

I utterly and totally agree. Offerings (apart from a few flowers) have to be seen as the inconsequential end of a spectrum of much worse processes that constitute accelerating (and largely uncaring and certainly irreversible) mass historicide on an unprecedented scale (despite the fact the study of history and it's protection is also on an unprecedented scale which makes the public, the poor saps, think things are OK), one of the unique footprints of our age along with envirocide... As you say, it is not possible to draw a line between unacceptable and "oh let's not bother to interfere with their personal and religious freedoms" since we can never find a consensus on where the line is (as this thread shows) and some will always feel they can step over it to a generally unacceptable degree (as this thread proves). Beware "freedoms" in megalithland, they always lead to damage! The ASLaN Charter oughta have said "Leave no footprints but stamp on everything! ;)

/rant

So sorry, you ain't crass or irritating, you speak truth from beyond the Western ocean. Can we use some of/all of your words in a Heritage Action article?
moss
moss
2897 posts

Jun 05, 2010, 18:38
StoneGloves wrote:
There was a precursor to Monty Python, called Do Not Adjust Your Set, and each week it had a song from the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band. One of them was called the Monster Mash and, on the record but not the TV show, there is a line that goes something like 'here comes Dracula with his group, the Crypt Kicker Five'. Pure Stanshall!

sometimes I give up Stonegloves and break down in tears of laughter ;) ;) where does it come from??
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 05, 2010, 18:44
It was Boris Picket and the Cryptkicker Five.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0thH3qnHTbI

'Course, that was before I stopped shaving.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 05, 2010, 21:40
Actually.....
http://heritageaction.wordpress.com/2010/06/05/home-truths-from-abroad/
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Jun 05, 2010, 22:31
Jun 05, 2010, 22:24
An interesting piece by BuckyE though with respect to him I do not agree. Last year on Good Friday (returning from Somerset) we stopped off at Stonehenge for a bit. I'm not anti-tourist as I know what it feels like to long to visit a particular place while the practicalities of getting there sometimes means the tourist route is a means to end; on that particular day the Stonehenge experience was a dispiriting one (hopefully to be improved in the near future).

Visiting Boskawen-un earlier in the year by walking across fields, climbing over stone stiles, I had the experience most people here aspire to; the elements, remoteness, and a sense of walking in ancient footsteps (parts of Avebury still feel like that too).

Its easy to forget that to a large extent we live in a country where 'freedom to roam' is a given. Remember 2001 (six months before 9/11) the Taliban blew up the Bamiyan Buddhas in the name of their religion while the rest of the world looked on in disbelief.
Resonox
604 posts

Jun 05, 2010, 22:58
tjj wrote:
the Taliban blew up the Bamiyan Buddhas in the name of their religion while the rest of the world looked on in disbelief.
You forgot to add and did nothing about it except to tut into their morning coffee...until the new series of Big Brother was announced....and such attrocities were forgotten.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6210 posts

Jun 05, 2010, 23:05
Hi Bucky,

The point about the lack of state owership/guardianship is essentially a moot one. In the UK (and I'm sure in the US) there are thousands and thousands of prehistoric sites. Some are big and well-known, and you can put a fence up and have a gift shop, etc, etc. But these represent a tiny fraction of the sites that remain.

Most sites are on land that is privately owned, but much of that land (especially in upland areas) is open to the public to walk on. Whether this land remained privately owned or if the sites themselves were transferred to state ownership, there is no practical way whatsoever of fencing off or allocating security to any but a few. Most UK sites are "scheduled" and it is an offence to damage them - but how many barrows in fields are ploughed down to non-existence? How many upland barrows are turned into walker's shelters? How many urban sites become areas for fly-tipping? Most of these are scheduled but it doesn't prevent misuse.

It seems to me that the nearest we can get to having cake/eating it (allowing sites to be freely accessed while seeking to prevent them from being misused) is for people to be encouraged and educated to act responsibly and realise the true, irreplaceable value of what is being slowly eroded or destroyed by, in many cases, thoughtless actions. Most sites are not damaged intentionally (although some clearly are, paint spraying being particularly abhorrent), most are destroyed slowly, through lack of understanding. There are guidelines and perfectly reasonable standards published all over the place, not least on notices at some sites and in most guidebooks to visiting the countryside in general as well as sites in particular. They almost always include something along the lines of "take everything home with you that you brought to the countryside", which seems to be a pretty reasonable request.

If those guidelines are not always followed, then unless people like Heritage Action and perhaps some TMAers (yes, us) actually do their bit to keep the sites tidy and free of litter and other assorted "leavings", the importance of the sites quickly becomes diminished and even more prone to damage.

In other words, waiting for the state to intervene or take over is not a practical answer. Personal responsibility is.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jun 06, 2010, 06:29
thesweetcheat wrote:
Hi Bucky,

The point about the lack of state owership/guardianship is essentially a moot one. In the UK (and I'm sure in the US) there are thousands and thousands of prehistoric sites. Some are big and well-known, and you can put a fence up and have a gift shop, etc, etc. But these represent a tiny fraction of the sites that remain.

Most sites are on land that is privately owned, but much of that land (especially in upland areas) is open to the public to walk on. Whether this land remained privately owned or if the sites themselves were transferred to state ownership, there is no practical way whatsoever of fencing off or allocating security to any but a few. Most UK sites are "scheduled" and it is an offence to damage them - but how many barrows in fields are ploughed down to non-existence? How many upland barrows are turned into walker's shelters? How many urban sites become areas for fly-tipping? Most of these are scheduled but it doesn't prevent misuse.

It seems to me that the nearest we can get to having cake/eating it (allowing sites to be freely accessed while seeking to prevent them from being misused) is for people to be encouraged and educated to act responsibly and realise the true, irreplaceable value of what is being slowly eroded or destroyed by, in many cases, thoughtless actions. Most sites are not damaged intentionally (although some clearly are, paint spraying being particularly abhorrent), most are destroyed slowly, through lack of understanding. There are guidelines and perfectly reasonable standards published all over the place, not least on notices at some sites and in most guidebooks to visiting the countryside in general as well as sites in particular. They almost always include something along the lines of "take everything home with you that you brought to the countryside", which seems to be a pretty reasonable request.

If those guidelines are not always followed, then unless people like Heritage Action and perhaps some TMAers (yes, us) actually do their bit to keep the sites tidy and free of litter and other assorted "leavings", the importance of the sites quickly becomes diminished and even more prone to damage.

In other words, waiting for the state to intervene or take over is not a practical answer. Personal responsibility is.

This the second superb post I've read on the forum since yesterday (the other being from tiompan). Very well written tsc, you've managed to pull together all the main issues in an intelligent but unconfrontational manner. Contributions like this are the reason I bother to come here ... thanks.
Pages: 31 – [ Previous | 123 24 25 26 27 28 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index