Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
To celebrate 10 years...cast your votes...
This topic is locked

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: To celebrate 10 years...cast your votes...
Feb 15, 2010, 12:43
StoneGloves wrote:
Somewhere I recall a theory, or a record, that there was a very tall stone at the centre of (was-it?) the southern circle. More a maypole than a totem pole, perhaps. Be careful with that bicycle.

You might be thinking of the obelisk in Avebury's south-east quadrant.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Feb 15, 2010, 12:46
nigelswift wrote:
Well spotted. ;)

BTW, when I said it was a totem I wasn't meaning to promote the idea of it having a totem pole in it, something that has flashed round the internet based on a bit of a journalistic flourish probably. A buried totem pole is just a bit too daft to count as a reasonable speculation I reckon.

Aye, but then sticking a whacking great oak tree upside down in a wooden circle might also be seen as a bit daft :-) There's no accounting for taste with those pre-history fellas :-)
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited Feb 15, 2010, 12:50
Feb 15, 2010, 12:49
You mean the obelisk? No, that was real enough.

I did propose that once a year (on my birthday actually, or on the megameet day) a fibre glass replica should be placed there. But there have been no takers. Pity really, a lot could be learned.
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Feb 15, 2010, 14:35
Obelisk gives the wrong impression, perhaps, for a dirty great standing stone. There was a TV film on an obelisk being returned to Egypt that was compelling. And, in the lists of recently destroyed local monuments, there was a stone circle on the outskirts of Newcastle that had a large central stone (or maybe it was in the North Tyne valley). I guess these obelisks would be the first bit to be felled. Happy birthday for last year - I've not had one since I was 39!
nigelswift
8112 posts

Feb 15, 2010, 15:11
Littlestone wrote:
Aye, but then sticking a whacking great oak tree upside down in a wooden circle might also be seen as a bit daft :-) There's no accounting for taste with those pre-history fellas :-)

That's very true. The textbooks are full of theories but never the simple explanation that "this was built at the whim of an absolute ruler who was completely off his trolley".
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Feb 15, 2010, 17:49
Vybik Jon wrote:
1. Callanish
*hugs*
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7720 posts

Feb 15, 2010, 17:59
It makes my heart ache sometimes.
faerygirl
412 posts

Feb 15, 2010, 20:12
nigelswift wrote:

Mitchell’s Fold
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/139/mitchells_fold.html
Wide and wild, amazing views, all the things I love – curlews, buzzards, larks and Emperor moths – and my childhood birthday picnic spot of choice.

YAY I'm glad Mitchells Fold made it! Had a fabulous time there with some friends :)
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Feb 16, 2010, 14:31
Stonehenge : http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/458/stonehenge.html a one off monument in Wiltshire . Due to the amount of time spent studying it ,it has managed to answer some questions and provoked even more . Chosen because of the insights provided but mainly because it is such an incredibly rich landscape and supreme megalithic eye candy . Not recommended for communing with anything .

Lurgan : http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/10893/lurgan.html discovered a couple of years ago , a wide dome of rock covered in the remains from tree felling and damage from the vehicles but underneath the brash was some of the most interesting and varied rock art motifs in Britain .I spent many a long winters day clearing and digging it and every time something new would appear .Brilliant views and often in sun whilst in the strath below it was freezing fog or mist .

Innercochil : http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/8299/innercochill.html
I had ancestors (late 18th C )living within 200 m of this stone ,they must have noticed it and wondered too ,great place for communing with the recent and possibly much earlier ancestors .
Branwen
824 posts

Feb 16, 2010, 16:09
Ooooh the Lurgan site I could sneak away from my tour group and go see them while they go to a highland show.
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index