Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
To celebrate 10 years...cast your votes...
This topic is locked

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: To celebrate 10 years...cast your votes...
Feb 16, 2010, 16:20
Branwen wrote:
Ooooh the Lurgan site I could sneak away from my tour group and go see them while they go to a highland show.

More pics here ,it was a real rescue operation as it was being replanted with trees as soon as the original lot were felled .Luckily the lanowner held off when I asked for some time to clear it .Otherwise it may have never been found for another couple of centuries .

http://rockartuk.fotopic.net/c1399329.html
http://rockartuk.fotopic.net/c1419769.html
Branwen
824 posts

Edited Feb 16, 2010, 17:40
Feb 16, 2010, 17:40
When I clicked on the multimap it took me to Tressait at Loch Tummel. I though Lurgen was near Dull and Grantully?

I love the picture with the mist in the background.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Feb 16, 2010, 17:43
Branwen wrote:
When I clicked on the multimap it took me to Tressait at Loch Tummel. I though Lurgen was near Dull and Grantully?

There's three Lurgans in Scotland ,all on Loch and River Tay .The one where the rock art is ,IS just above Dull .NN81825 50410 .
Branwen
824 posts

Feb 16, 2010, 18:00
The TMA site link takes you to Loch Tummel. I got it now though.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Feb 16, 2010, 18:03
Branwen wrote:
The TMA site link takes you to Loch Tummel. I got it now though.

probably my fault .There was a find of a some rock art at Tomintianda at much the same time and i must have put the grid ref for that in the midst of an asc .
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2557 posts

Feb 16, 2010, 23:05
Stonehenge yup, the other are two lovely places. Good stuff Mr T especially since you've got a direct connection which makes it all the more important!
GLADMAN
950 posts

Feb 16, 2010, 23:37
drewbhoy wrote:
Stonehenge yup.......

Too right. It gets a very bad press sometimes - and the 'tourist experience' is certainly shite - but I challenge anyone to undertake an out of hours visit, stand in the centre of that frankly bizarre horsehoe and not feel totally overwhelmed, both physically and mentally.
elipsia
1 posts

Feb 17, 2010, 20:49
If you don't mind a newbie contributing: The Hurlers circles on Bodmin - amazing in the mists; Nine Ladies on Stanton Moor - simply magical; and a tongue-in-cheek Millennium Stones at Gatton Park (let's keep the tradition going!).
scubi63
463 posts

Feb 17, 2010, 22:28
elipsia wrote:
If you don't mind a newbie contributing: The Hurlers circles on Bodmin - amazing in the mists; Nine Ladies on Stanton Moor - simply magical; and a tongue-in-cheek Millennium Stones at Gatton Park (let's keep the tradition going!).

Hi elipsia and welcome to TMA,

Your first two choices are both great sites and worthy of mentioning.
The Millennium stones, as you obviously know, are recent and therefor would not normally appear in TMA (as I think they do not).

As (he says in a nasal voice!) rule 2 states any site on TMA can be included and these stones do not (appear on TMA), I think they can not be included.

However, you could try adding them to the site but be warned it will be like mentioning those pesky R#ยข%ns...its just not the done thing

;o)

Scubi
baza
baza
1308 posts

Edited Mar 21, 2010, 11:30
Mar 21, 2010, 11:29
< bump >

So...have we finished voting?
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ] This topic is locked

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index