Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Re: Time Team R.I.P. ?
Jan 14, 2010, 21:11
FourWinds wrote:
dodge one wrote:
How do you feel about the Irish Folklore that WB Yeats put together?
I've read those. I think they are fantastic reads, tho extremely fancifull.
Really not much to do with Druids or anything. Lots of Irishmen besting the devil though. Banshees, Pukka's, Merrows....that kind of stuff.

Again, they're very purified as one would expect for the time. Lots of details missed out that may have offended at the time.

The tales are still amazing, though!

I have a copy of Gods and Fighting Men by Lady Gregory; also the Celtic Twilight by WB Yeats. I still have the receipt inside one of them - bought in June 2002 at the wonderful Writer's Museum on Parnell Street, Dublin.

(PS: Have given the eyebrows a good tweezering since reading your post yesterday)

tjj
Branwen
824 posts

Edited Jan 15, 2010, 00:14
Jan 15, 2010, 00:09
Aye...you too huh tjj

Lady Gregory is another one that sanitised everything.

I dunno how much was missed, and how much deliberately left out, Fourwinds. Lady Gregory even wrote letters which said she had "quite rightly" left out certain unsavoury elements from the stories which had come from the peasantry as being unsuitable for genteel reading. I heard Lady Gregory just fripperised stuff too, to make it more childishly appealing.

For instance. The Blackbird than feeds a whole tribe "lon dubh" seems magical and fanciful, showing the quaintness of irish peasantry. But londubh means black elk (irish elk), the black bird is called the black elk bird (lon-dubh-ean) in irish. If it was a black elk that fed the whole tribe, it is just a commentary on the size of the black elk. Amazing if memory of that beast survived in folklore, showing the amazing talents of the oral tradition in Ireland. Possible it only survived as an explanation for giant deer in rockart we no longer have, perhaps.

If you like the quaintness of it all Dodge, but want some druids, you'de like this one too:
http://www.archive.org/stream/druidpathmarah00ryanrich#page/n7/mode/2up wrote:
A curious dream of white birds came to him there; the
dream had come to him before, yet not with clearness.
And in the dream was a dusk path in an ancient wood,
and a well there. A well rising and sinking with the tide,
and a vision of a maid moving before him into the shadows.
A vision swathed in a white cloud, with hidden face,
but with a voice in which was held all the music of beauty of
life in all the world. His soul was as a harp on which that
music played.

If you want unsanitised folklore there's pavee traveller stuff relating to the god of human sacrifice (mentioned briefly in the Dindsenchas) Crom.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jan 15, 2010, 00:21
We all have to start our journey to knowledge somewhere Branwen. I'm half Irish and had very traditional Catholic upbringing inflicted upon me - it took me a while to fight through that fog of fear. As you go through life, people and books open doors to knowledge and you walk through when you are ready - no experience is wasted. Lady Gregory has her place on my bookshelf, she won't be discarded.
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Jan 15, 2010, 00:26
Holy Crap Branwen! Your like a Nuclear powered Cultural History Fountain....
How do you do it??
Really, thank you so much for finding stuff like this for Me/Us...
You really have a knack for honing in on people's tastes too.
Normally, i do not pry too much into people's lives, But if it's not too forward to ask, Do you have a Degree in these type studies?
Seems you should be lecturing at University level on these things.
If you are self taught, congratulations on how far you have delved.
I always thought that i was a hoity toity just owning a copy of the Mabinogion. The only one that i personally know in my social circle.
Your quite a gal.
Thanks Again.
D1
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Jan 15, 2010, 00:27
PS: I've saving these books as 'favorites' for quick access.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jan 15, 2010, 00:30
dodge one wrote:
Holy Crap Branwen! Your like a Nuclear powered Cultural History Fountain....
How do you do it??
Really, thank you so much for finding stuff like this for Me/Us...
You really have a knack for honing in on people's tastes too.
Normally, i do not pry too much into people's lives, But if it's not too forward to ask, Do you have a Degree in these type studies?
Seems you should be lecturing at University level on these things.
If you are self taught, congratulations on how far you have delved.
I always thought that i was a hoity toity just owning a copy of the Mabinogion. The only one that i personally know in my social circle.
Your quite a gal.
Thanks Again.
D1

Branwen is a remarkable woman - I do agree.
Branwen
824 posts

Edited Jan 15, 2010, 00:43
Jan 15, 2010, 00:32
I was a weird kid. Started young. Got the qualifications to get into University very easily (considering I skived off school so much) but came from a unibrow parade family that wouldn't let me go. I have the kind of brain that remembers anything I'm told verbally, so storytelling was a natural lure to me. In recent years so many old books going are online, and I know what words to google to get at them, is all. I've spent years googling stuff I know to get a zero return from google, only to see it now expanding to first a few pages, then more. Did this because being a primary source sucks, you have to be an author quoting another author who met the primary source to get published it seems like.

Felt for Fourwinds. He posts a stone years ago only to have someone else claim to have found it recently. Kind of sucks in the same way.

As for honing in... I get that a lot. You get to know people that are interested in what you have to offer is all. The others ignore you.
Branwen
824 posts

Edited Jan 15, 2010, 00:49
Jan 15, 2010, 00:48
Get yourself a copy of "The Gaelic Otherworld" by the Rev. John Gregorson Campbell if you only buy one paper copy of a book this year Dodge. It's two older books put together, which have been archived, but the compilation version comes with an anthropological commentary by the School of Scottish Studies head prefessor. It analyses the stories to show the unsanitised version of how hard life was, and the things we told ourselves in stories just to be able to cope with them.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gaelic-Otherworld-Gregorson-Superstitions-Witchcraft/dp/1841587338
dodge one
dodge one
1242 posts

Jan 15, 2010, 00:49
You have assured your audience here Branwen.
Really, speaking for me, this forum is such a valuable tool. I'm half IRISH/ENGLISH on Dads side and Jewish On my Mom's. So my interests in these things is a bit more general and varied. But i've studied enough of things in my life, at this point, to recognize those who have a voice worth listening to. Yours is that.
Regards
D1
Branwen
824 posts

Edited Jan 15, 2010, 00:53
Jan 15, 2010, 00:52
I sometimes wonder if its worth starting a page for every megalithic site in the uk, whether they have been visited or not, or have photos or not. The site has become a primary resourse for anyone taking the first steps to see what is in their area, and so much is being lost, the same way folklore is being lost. Seems a place to begin so people nearby such sites can go andget stuff to add. Perhaps even add an appeal that someone does so on those pages with no information yet.
Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index