Time Team R.I.P. ?

Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 110 11 12 13 14 15 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Re: Time Team R.I.P. ?
Jan 15, 2010, 15:26
Keys to the Past - don't get me started on that ! The county Sites and Monument Register is on-line and (fairly) up to date. Prefer to use that before Keys To The flipping Past, which is populated on political expediency rather than any other criteria. If you believe that Northumberland Conservation Team will help you with your rock art then you possibly need your temperature checking. Redesdale is within your range and there is a lot of stuff around there. There is modern period monument, near Rochester, that I am keen to know about, if you are passing. It's in the woods behind the First and Last, and is a pond I fixed, years ago. Does it still hold water? It's where the Mitford sisters used to swim in the summer - allegedly - which monumentalises it. Stonelined, which was where I came in ...
mascot
113 posts

Jan 15, 2010, 16:05
Hey nothings perfect - I know it's got loads of issues but the ability to fairly quickly scan through older OS maps for a site and then hop to Google Earth to check out what the are looks like allows me to pre-load new sites on the TMA, then make site visits and write up field notes to build on knowledge about the site. Would be interested on any links if you have a better way in to this sort of data?

I know there are a lot of different reasons people are on TMA but for me it is one of the easiest to use and best sites for folks interested in prehistoric sites. It can only get better if people add missing sites and data from other sources. The mods do a great job making sure people get the facts/data right and by and large play nicely with each other (a bit of crawling never goes amiss) :-)

I've been on on-line communities going back to dial up modem days and 24 months in, this one of the most enjoyable and focused sites I've been a member of.
Branwen
824 posts

Jan 15, 2010, 18:09
I was doing a web design course and a fella that came in to lecture said I thought like a search engine and told me to stop by when I was finished he might have work for me. I guess he meant I had fuzzy logic.

It definately messes with your head, I now picture Google as a helpful little familiar that looks something like a cross between a cat and a magpie hopping off to get me what I want.
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Jan 15, 2010, 20:17
"on-line communities going back to dial up modem days" > 1200bps. Something I've noticed is how the cross-sections of society that are gubbins literate are fairly well defined and entrenched now. Middle class, broadly. Show me a 'chav' with a notebook - there isn't one.

But no reply about Redesdale.

And no-one has mentioned the link to Broad Mea long barrow, which I pasted in. Errr, go the other way, fast. (But why? Because it's not like any other? Surely that should be a reason to get there come what may not to pretend it doesn't exist).
mascot
113 posts

Jan 16, 2010, 15:19
1200 baud was broadband - luxury.......
StoneGloves
StoneGloves
1149 posts

Jan 16, 2010, 20:27
and look what it's led to!
faerygirl
412 posts

Mar 02, 2010, 18:25
tiompan wrote:
tjj wrote:
tiompan wrote:
faerygirl wrote:

Ditto with all these bloody shows when they are diving for shipwrecks and they already know what was onboard. What a waste of money when you could be diving off the coast of Scotland or Ireland for the other stone circles that have been claimed by the sea since the last iceage. OR you could be at Yonaguni or north west India looking at ancient sites which would allow us to date them based on sea level rise.

Phew, rant over :)

The Scottish coast line is in the main higher now due to isotonic uplift after the ice .

I couldn't find anything specific to the Scottish coastline but here is something about the Swedish coastline which is probably similar.
Hoga Kusten (The High Coast)

EDIT: The link doesn't seem to work - sorry ('twas an interesting read anyway)
bw
June

Some areas like Orkney didn't "bounce back " as much and amy ahve have higher sea levels today but they are the minority . Still rising I think .

YAY, I knew someone would come to my rescue on this eventually!!

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/83244/news/orkney.html#comments

x
wideford
1086 posts

Mar 02, 2010, 19:45
On Radio Orkney this week a large grant has been made available to search for the underwater archaeology [that for the early kirk of Damsay is due to start this month] and the relevant bods have said they will go ahead with this straight away
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Mar 02, 2010, 20:09
One of the pioneering underwater arcaheology projects .

http://www.crannog.co.uk/
Branwen
824 posts

Edited Mar 02, 2010, 22:22
Mar 02, 2010, 22:19
This place is on my tour, love it. Hoping to take a group up there for midsummer.

I heard they found cup and ring marks under the water of the loch there, nothing on their page but the dugout they found is interesting.

http://www.crannog.co.uk/docs/underwater_archaeology/underwater_archaeology.html

http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/T/timeteam/2004_lochtay.html
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/archaeology/excavations_techniques/marine_01.shtml
Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 110 11 12 13 14 15 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index