Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
postman
848 posts

Re: Your favourite site
Sep 27, 2009, 14:56
Cant possibly pick just one place so I'm cheating and saying all of Wales,
cos its nearest.
Or maybe western Scotland, or Cork and Kerry.
Oh go on then The Druids circle near Tal y fan.
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Sep 27, 2009, 15:41
Interesting there's been no real duplication so far.

I'll go for Boscawen-Un every time.

The walk down past Creeg Tol, creepy at any time of year and any time of day - it spooks me out every time! Then the climb over the stile into the enclosure, to get a full view of the circle which is mostly hidden away these days. The coolness of the quartz stone, even on the hottest day, the crazy impossible lean of the centre stone, and the feeling of isolation just a quarter mile from the nearest farm and road...
scubi63
463 posts

Sep 27, 2009, 16:49
Since my visit to Cumbria, Sunkenkirk has to be up there but as I have only visited it once I can really say it is my favourite.
I think that has to go to Adam's Grave near Alton Barnes. When I am stood high up on that mound with the wind bellowing over the down it always gives me a tingling feeling. Of course Rex used to like running around up there also, so it is a special place for me for that reason too.

:o)

Scubi
zerkalo
zerkalo
488 posts

Sep 27, 2009, 19:46
Doll Tor
Chris
Chris
165 posts

Sep 27, 2009, 20:44
Tyrebagger mainly, but East Aquhorthies constantly calls me back.
Mustard
1043 posts

Sep 28, 2009, 13:40
Avebury and Scorhill.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Sep 28, 2009, 20:55
Nine Maidens of Boskednan, both before and after the restoration. Often visited in mist, drizzle and sometimes in glorious scorching sunshine. You have to make an effort to get to it too.

I know we only get one, but I'd mention West Tump longbarrow too for woodland atmosphere.
GLADMAN
950 posts

Sep 28, 2009, 21:41
Having bugger all in Essex.... lucky me........ the most I've been back to a site is 3 times at Castlerigg - stunning site, but too many casual visitors to be a favourite. Elitist sod.

With regards dear old Blighty, I guess Boscawen-un just pips the awesome Swinside. Scotland has to be Callanish, because of the pilgrimage, but mainly the Lewisian Gneiss. Wales... Moel-ty-Uchaf just ahead of the Bryn Cader-faner and the Moel Gedog circles..... Ireland is too difficult - probably between Ardgroom, Drombohilly and Seefin in the Wicklows.

Or is it just the next site? I'm confused.
UncleRob
34 posts

Sep 29, 2009, 00:24
Cherhill - so aloft and peaceful you're not really in this world. And a nice mixture of footprints through the millenia, no single culture's view of what a mighty hill should be predominates but it's clearly a place steeped in the past.

Alternatively, much of the Isle of Purbeck...
bobpc
43 posts

Sep 29, 2009, 10:09
castlerigg as it was the first one i went too, kilmartin obviously and lordenshaw. hard to pick one
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index