Your favourite site

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
texlahoma
texlahoma
891 posts

Your favourite site
Sep 26, 2009, 18:24
Just wondering where is the one place that calls you back time and time again?
megadread
1202 posts

Re: Your favourite site
Sep 26, 2009, 19:04
texlahoma wrote:

Mine was West Kennet longbarrow till i saw old pics of it pre restoration, still love it but it doesn't have the same "air" about it now i know how unoriginal it is.
I'd have to go for Dol Tor, though that might change as i travel more widely.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Sep 26, 2009, 20:28
texlahoma wrote:

Bed .
gjrk
370 posts

Edited Sep 26, 2009, 21:10
Sep 26, 2009, 20:51
Carrigagrenane SW stone circle.

You can't always get what you want.

Edit. Or, I should say, the dreamer is still asleep ;) (inside a forest of briars in this case)
Lubin
Lubin
509 posts

Sep 26, 2009, 21:06
Drizzlecombe as there is such a varied selection, and it is near home.

Peace , Lubin
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Sep 26, 2009, 21:53
Has to be Ketley Crag for me.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Sep 26, 2009, 22:33
Stoney Littleton at present.

The lane down to the stream. The walk up through summer meadows to the barrow. The missed ammonite at the entrance. The sparkle of others inside. The claustrophobia of the place. The coming out into the light... and seeing what had been missed going in http://heritageaction.wordpress.com/?p=5236&preview=true
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Sep 26, 2009, 23:30
Sep 26, 2009, 23:23
megadread wrote:
Mine was West Kennet longbarrow till i saw old pics of it pre restoration, still love it but it doesn't have the same "air" about it now i know how unoriginal it is.

I'm with you on this one MD, although the fact that WKLB has been reconstructed to some extent doesn't bother me, most chambered long barrows have. Wiltshire is my home and nothing pleases me more than spontaneously jumping on the 49 bus to Avebury. Then there is a walk through the circle to West Kennet Avenue, along the Avenue, up Waden Hill to stand and stare at Silbury and the land/skyscape. Onwards to West Kennet Long Barrow - I rarely go inside just lean on the massive entrance stones and listen to the wind. Back to Avebury along the Winterbourne track.

This is not just a walk through a famous World Heritage Site, it is my bolt hole and I always return feeling energised.
megadread
1202 posts

Sep 27, 2009, 00:11
tjj wrote:
megadread wrote:

I'm with you on this one MD, although the fact that WKLB has been reconstructed to some extent doesn't bother me, most chambered long barrows have. Wiltshire is my home and nothing pleases me more than spontaneously jumping on the 49 bus to Avebury. Then there is a walk through the circle to West Kennet Avenue, along the Avenue, up Waden Hill to stand and stare at Silbury and the land/skyscape. Onwards to West Kennet Long Barrow - I rarely go inside just lean on the massive entrance stones and listen to the wind. Back to Avebury along the Winterbourne track.

This is not just a walk through a famous World Heritage Site, it is my bolt hole and I always return feeling energised.

It's the detail that gets to me now, was the deer / cow lintel at the entrance an original feature, (i'm not suggesting it's shape had meaning to the builders) were the polishing marks inside "on show" originally, it's lost some of it's magic for me due to the uncertainty of some of it's most special "bits."
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2557 posts

Sep 27, 2009, 05:55
Tiompan told me about cup marks near New Craig, every time I drive past I stop and have a look!
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index