11 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Re: Wychbury Ring / Hill
Jun 07, 2009, 21:23
http://www.indigogroup.co.uk/edge/Stkenelm.htm

Scroll down the page about half way for a small diagram showing a Neolithic Pool and a mention of 'Neolithic Landscape/Enclosure'too at St Kenelms Church. Funny, passed by loads but I've never been there...must rectify that next week sometime, looks intriguing.

Wychbury Hill is practically on my doorstep, and i've visited quite a few times. Can't say i've seen or know of any 'supernatural' activity associated with it other than the 'Bella' yarn. It is a quiet and restful place, with a well preserved Hill Fort and a whole bunch of Yew trees scattered across it. Path up gets well muddy in winter, so take yer wellies. It has nice views across to Adams Hill on Clent, but if the wind is punting the wrong way, the traffic from the nearby A road can be loud. There's a 'temple of Diana' on the hillside further down and a 'Napoleonic' and rickety Obelisk too. Basically, it's a nice place to kill a few hours if you've got the time.
I'm guessing Whychburyman and Morfe, if he's still around could fill you in further, or maybe Fourwinds..he originated in that part of the world.
If you search the forum from a few years ago, i think there was a discussion about it then. Someone mentioned a Long Barrow back then, but i've not found any info referring to one.

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index