Wychbury Ring / Hill

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Enderfay
15 posts

Wychbury Ring / Hill
Jun 06, 2009, 21:06
Hi all,

I'm very interested in the above-mentioned site and would love to hear from anyone who might be able to relate any of it's associated folklore / ghostlore?

I've been looking into the place (sporadically) for a number of years now and do know something of it's (alleged) 'otherworldly' history..... However, having seen a couple of threads of conversation on this site, it's quite evident that other people seem to know a lot more than yours truly on the subject!! Laugh!!

Please do reply, as I'd love to learn more....

Regards to all,

Nick
wychburyman
951 posts

Re: Wychbury Ring / Hill
Jun 07, 2009, 12:42
Enderfay wrote:
Hi all,

I'm very interested in the above-mentioned site and would love to hear from anyone who might be able to relate any of it's associated folklore / ghostlore?

I've been looking into the place (sporadically) for a number of years now and do know something of it's (alleged) 'otherworldly' history..... However, having seen a couple of threads of conversation on this site, it's quite evident that other people seem to know a lot more than yours truly on the subject!! Laugh!!

Please do reply, as I'd love to learn more....

Regards to all,

Nick

Do you mean Wychbury Iron Age Hill Fort, West Midlands? As you can tell I may have a bit of an interest here ;-)

However, I doubt whether you will get much change from the rest of this forum
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 07, 2009, 14:28
However, I doubt whether you will get much change from the rest of this forum...

I know it. In fact 'twas me that put Bella in the Wych Elm...

Actually Mr W. I'm about to go to Clent. Can you tell me anything about the alleged "neolithic" pool with ritual deposits near to St Kenelm's well?
Enderfay
15 posts

Jun 07, 2009, 15:37
wychburyman wrote:

Do you mean Wychbury Iron Age Hill Fort, West Midlands? As you can tell I may have a bit of an interest here ;-)

However, I doubt whether you will get much change from the rest of this forum

Hi Wychburyman,

Yes - this is indeed the site referred to! (It was only after I made the post that I realised I hadn't included the geographic location.... What an utter dolt, eh!! Laugh!)

As mentioned previously, I have picked up a few, general stories / references over the years, including such things as Roman-esque ghosts, peculiar feelings(?), magickal practices, the sighting of a 'Green Man' style creature(!?!?), A.B.C. encounters (not the naff 80's band, I hasten to add, before some witty soul says something!! Laugh!!)

Your 'much change from the rest of the forum' comment sounds a little ominous, by the way...?? Laugh!!

Look forward to your reply,

Best wishes,

Nick
Monganaut
Monganaut
2375 posts

Jun 07, 2009, 21:23
http://www.indigogroup.co.uk/edge/Stkenelm.htm

Scroll down the page about half way for a small diagram showing a Neolithic Pool and a mention of 'Neolithic Landscape/Enclosure'too at St Kenelms Church. Funny, passed by loads but I've never been there...must rectify that next week sometime, looks intriguing.

Wychbury Hill is practically on my doorstep, and i've visited quite a few times. Can't say i've seen or know of any 'supernatural' activity associated with it other than the 'Bella' yarn. It is a quiet and restful place, with a well preserved Hill Fort and a whole bunch of Yew trees scattered across it. Path up gets well muddy in winter, so take yer wellies. It has nice views across to Adams Hill on Clent, but if the wind is punting the wrong way, the traffic from the nearby A road can be loud. There's a 'temple of Diana' on the hillside further down and a 'Napoleonic' and rickety Obelisk too. Basically, it's a nice place to kill a few hours if you've got the time.
I'm guessing Whychburyman and Morfe, if he's still around could fill you in further, or maybe Fourwinds..he originated in that part of the world.
If you search the forum from a few years ago, i think there was a discussion about it then. Someone mentioned a Long Barrow back then, but i've not found any info referring to one.
Enderfay
15 posts

Jun 07, 2009, 22:01
Monganaut wrote:
http://www.indigogroup.co.uk/edge/Stkenelm.htm

Wychbury Hill is practically on my doorstep, and i've visited quite a few times. Can't say i've seen or know of any 'supernatural' activity associated with it other than the 'Bella' yarn. It is a quiet and restful place, with a well preserved Hill Fort and a whole bunch of Yew trees scattered across it. Path up gets well muddy in winter, so take yer wellies. It has nice views across to Adams Hill on Clent, but if the wind is punting the wrong way, the traffic from the nearby A road can be loud. There's a 'temple of Diana' on the hillside further down and a 'Napoleonic' and rickety Obelisk too. Basically, it's a nice place to kill a few hours if you've got the time.
I'm guessing Whychburyman and Morfe, if he's still around could fill you in further, or maybe Fourwinds..he originated in that part of the world.
If you search the forum from a few years ago, i think there was a discussion about it then. Someone mentioned a Long Barrow back then, but i've not found any info referring to one.

Thanks for the info. Monganaut,

I have visited the site a number of times over the years, including a couple of late night vigils. (Nothing of particular interest to report, however, save for a couple of locals - evidently worse for wear - on their way back from the local! Laugh!!)

It was while searching for pertinent data on the weirder side of Wychbury that I discovered the previous thread that you have referred to. There was a fair bit of banter possibly alluding to 'general strangeness' - which inspired this new thread... Laugh!!

Best wishes and thanks again,

Enderfay
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jun 07, 2009, 22:12
Cheers for that Monganaut.

A long barrow doesn't ring a bell but there's a tumulus.
Enderfay
15 posts

Jun 12, 2009, 15:14
Hi,

I hate to sound impatient..... but has anyone got any info, to offer then? Laugh, laugh!!

Regards,

Enderfay
Enderfay
15 posts

Jun 23, 2009, 15:11
Eventually managed to get over to Wychbury on Sunday night...... bit of a miserable day (weather-wise), but at least the rain kept off during the evening, which was a blessing!! Laugh!!

Posted a few pics on my photo album from the visit (topmost album on page):

http://westmidlandsghostclub.myphotoalbum.com/albums.php?page=1

Regards to all,

Enderfay
wychburyman
951 posts

Jun 26, 2009, 17:18
Sorry I haven't been around much to post.

Re "long Barrow". Round hill and saddleback hill on the slopes of Wychbury have been suggested as long barrows. However, archaeologists dug around one of them in the early 90s and concluded that the whole hill(ock) was glacial.

I have seen maps showing some sort or round barrow in a field a mile or so away but I've checked this and if anything was there it seems ploughed out.

As for St Kenelm I'd not heard of a pool, but there is a "sacred" spring there that is related to the legend of Kenelm.

For me, Wychbury always had a bit of an atmosphere I can't explain. You could argue that this is just imagination, but a number of people young and old have said this in general conversation with me without prompt. The yews are impressive and have been dated to a great age (based on what evidence there is at hand)

Enjoy the landscape around there folks, I think it hold special meanings for our ancestors that have since been lost. It would be nice to meet local folk there some time

Best

W
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index