Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
zerkalo
zerkalo
488 posts

Edited May 13, 2009, 12:38
Stone on Derwent Moor near Ladybower?
May 13, 2009, 12:35
Took these pictures of a what appears to be a standing stone a couple of years ago and have wondered whether the stone in question was of genuine antiquity or not (or just an old boundry marker or something less interesting), I very much doubt it is naturally occurring. So was wondering if any of the forum members with a knowledge of the Derbyshire/South Yorkshire area might have come across this on their travels and could shed any light? I've never been able to find anything on the internet about it, maybe I've been looking in the wrong places though

http://s565.photobucket.com/albums/ss91/zerkalo_2009/

It is located on the side of the path descending from the Wheel Stones down Derwent Moor towards Moscar House, if my memory serves me correct it was close to were the path intersects Highshaw Clough, loads of grouse butts along that path too. If you look due south across the valley you look across to Hordron Edge.

thanks in advance
Kozmik_Ken
Kozmik_Ken
829 posts

Re: Stone on Derwent Moor near Ladybower?
May 13, 2009, 12:58
My initial thought was boundary stone, as the boarder between Yorkshire and Derbyshire runs through this area. But after looking at your pics, I'm not so sure, as it seems to show signs of vertical weathering, which means it could have been stood for a very long time... plus the fact that there is no shortage of prehistoric activity in the area.

Very interesting. I was planning a jaunt up to Derwent Edge, the Wheel Stones and Salt Cellar quite soon anyway, so will look out for this and have a good poke around.
zerkalo
zerkalo
488 posts

May 13, 2009, 13:14
Kozmik_Ken wrote:
My initial thought was boundary stone, as the boarder between Yorkshire and Derbyshire runs through this area. But after looking at your pics, I'm not so sure, as it seems to show signs of vertical weathering, which means it could have been stood for a very long time... plus the fact that there is no shortage of prehistoric activity in the area.

Very interesting. I was planning a jaunt up to Derwent Edge, the Wheel Stones and Salt Cellar quite soon anyway, so will look out for this and have a good poke around.

That's right Ken, there are a line boundary stones that straddle Derwent Moor across Strines Edge down through Moscar and along Stanage Edge, this section of path is about 1/2 mile west of the boundary that intersects the Moscar estate, just on the side of the main path on the way up to the Wheel Stones. The weathering had me intrigued too, however it also has a very regular cornered shape at the bottom on one side. Hope you find it.
Kozmik_Ken
Kozmik_Ken
829 posts

May 13, 2009, 13:38
It's not unusual for millstone grit to crack naturally with angled corners. There's lots of examples up on Stanage Edge. I'll try to get up there before the bracken gets too high and see if I can find any clues around it.
zerkalo
zerkalo
488 posts

Edited May 13, 2009, 15:53
May 13, 2009, 15:52
Kozmik_Ken wrote:
It's not unusual for millstone grit to crack naturally with angled corners. There's lots of examples up on Stanage Edge. I'll try to get up there before the bracken gets too high and see if I can find any clues around it.

cool, I'm going to try and get up there myself in the next week or so and try and work out approximately where on my OS map it is for a grid ref(it's unmarked) and post them pictures to the main website if a few of us agree it's more than just an old gate post or boundry marker
megadread
1202 posts

May 13, 2009, 16:07
Not been to the stone you mention but looking at the Os map and the location of the stone i'm wondering if it would be visible from Hordron edge stone circle of Hordron edge itself. ?

I'd be interested in going up there for a look with someone.
zerkalo
zerkalo
488 posts

May 13, 2009, 16:35
megadread wrote:
Not been to the stone you mention but looking at the Os map and the location of the stone i'm wondering if it would be visible from Hordron edge stone circle of Hordron edge itself. ?

I'd be interested in going up there for a look with someone.

I can't exactly remember at which point descending from Derwent Moor you come to a similar elevation as Hordron Edge, so I'm not sure if at this stone you'd actually be at a lower elevation that the top of Hordron Edge. What I do know is that higher up the moor from the stone in question I can remember looking across to Hordron Edge and not being able to see the individual stones, so I'm doubtful if you'd see this stone from Hordron with the naked eye purely due to distance rather than differences in elevation.

ps my OS map is an old green pathfinder, is yours a different OS map and if so is the stone marked on it?
megadread
1202 posts

May 13, 2009, 16:44
I'm using the Os Explorer 1, the Dark Peak area, the stone isn't marked on it.
megadread
1202 posts

May 13, 2009, 16:52
Could you clarify the location for me a little more.
There's two paths i can see on my map, one is below the Hurkling stones leading to a small wooded area marked Whinstone Lee and the other above passing the marked Grouse butts, is it the one above that i need to take. ?
Kozmik_Ken
Kozmik_Ken
829 posts

May 13, 2009, 17:07
I doubt it would be in sight of Hordron Edge. Probably a bit far away... but you never know. From the description of the location, it looks to be almost directly north of Hordron Edge too. So I can't think what it could mark.
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index