The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Ladybower Tor »
Stone on Derwent Moor near Ladybower?

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
zerkalo
zerkalo
488 posts

Re: Stone on Derwent Moor near Ladybower?
May 13, 2009, 18:56
megadread wrote:
Could you clarify the location for me a little more.
There's two paths i can see on my map, one is below the Hurkling stones leading to a small wooded area marked Whinstone Lee and the other above passing the marked Grouse butts, is it the one above that i need to take. ?

Yeah it's the above one marked with grouse butts just north of the Hurkling stones. It runs east to west parallel with the lower bridal path you mention that you would take from Cutthroat bridge if heading up to Hurkling Stones. In fact you can do it as a short circular walk talking in Hurkling stones from Cutthroat bridge as once you've passed the stone in question and grousebutts the path swings round at somewhere marked Fords near Moscar House on the map, you'll pass a sheepfold and find yourself walking parallel to and up above Ladybower brook in the direction of the reservoir and it'll drop you where you started at Cutthroat Bridge.
megadread
1202 posts

May 13, 2009, 19:36
I get you now, looks like a nice walk too.
Thanks for the info, i'll take a walk up there sometime this week or maybe saturday.

I also just noticed that the stone may be visible from the rock art on Ladybower Tor (or vice versa ) don't know if that is of any significance though.
Can you post up rough Os co-ordinates for the site, maps are no substitute for a personal visit are they.
zerkalo
zerkalo
488 posts

Edited May 13, 2009, 21:53
May 13, 2009, 21:37
megadread wrote:
I get you now, looks like a nice walk too.
Thanks for the info, i'll take a walk up there sometime this week or maybe saturday.

I also just noticed that the stone may be visible from the rock art on Ladybower Tor (or vice versa ) don't know if that is of any significance though.
Can you post up rough Os co-ordinates for the site, maps are no substitute for a personal visit are they.

A very approximate stab at around SK211879 or thereabouts.
Apologies in advance if that coordinate is far out, but it is very close the path (on your left side as you descend ie head east) and impossible not to see from the path, so either way if you follow that route you'll be sure to see it.
megadread
1202 posts

May 13, 2009, 22:18
Thanks for that, i've marked it on the map and i might even go up there tomorrow after work.
zerkalo
zerkalo
488 posts

May 14, 2009, 18:09
megadread wrote:
Thanks for that, i've marked it on the map and i might even go up there tomorrow after work.

Let us know how you get on, weather here is pretty atrocious right now after having a glorious week of sunny evenings, so you'll be a braver man than me if you do venture up onto Derwent Moor tonight, keep us posted :)
megadread
1202 posts

May 14, 2009, 18:45
I gave it a miss because of the weather.
I will get up there before Sunday though despite the weather, i've got good waterproofs. : )
Kozmik_Ken
Kozmik_Ken
829 posts

May 14, 2009, 21:58
I'm hoping that I may get up there on Sunday all being well. One thought that has occurred to me since, is it could be a stoop or waymarker. Needs investigation for sure.
Stoneshifter
379 posts

May 14, 2009, 23:11
Is the county Site and Monument Register online? The stone looks like a standing stone, certainly, and it is likely in the moors that standing stones were reused as boundary stones, later. If anyone gets there, try squinting along the longer sides of the stone and see if anything shows up. Like a little bump, or a gouged out bit, on the horizon.
ToneStone
ToneStone
1768 posts

May 15, 2009, 15:32
Im in S Yorks and in my "Field stones" book i have from the 70's its classed as a "Gatepost/Boundry Stone" but it seems to have that Devils Arrows weathering so i suspect it is way older and probs moved from another site in the area
zerkalo
zerkalo
488 posts

May 16, 2009, 12:07
ToneStone wrote:
Im in S Yorks and in my "Field stones" book i have from the 70's its classed as a "Gatepost/Boundry Stone" but it seems to have that Devils Arrows weathering so i suspect it is way older and probs moved from another site in the area

ah great stuff cheers Tone, this has been bugging me since last spring as I've founding no literature or web info on it whatsoever, which I thought odd for such a fine/ancient looking stone

ps who is the author of your Field Stones book? as googling predictably doesn't turn much up, cheers :)
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index