Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Dogs off the lead / dogma on a lead
Jan 11, 2009, 18:57
Good point. Perspective is needed.

Aye, and a good sense of direction.

It's unbelievable that English 'Heritage' have given their blessing for this housing development - see The Bonds Garage update here http://www.heritageaction.org/?page=theheritagejournal for a view (second photo down) of how close the Henge is to the proposed new houses. Nice view of the Henge from the new houses fellas (good selling point when owners of said houses decide to move on) not so good a view from the World Heritage Site however.

English Heritage? Pha! Try property development with a big fat pony in yer pocket!
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jan 11, 2009, 19:28
Littlestone wrote:
Nice view of the Henge from the new houses fellas

Absolutely. The whole thing is a marketing man's dream.

The development will need a name, no prizes for guessing, it'll have to be "Henge View", surely?

And the speil that goes with it will be irresistable -
"A unique opportunity to purchase a new property inside a world heritage site - negotiated by your suppliers despite the opposition of all the archaeological and conservation bodies and despite the fact it is against the spirit of the Avebury World Heritage Site Plan and the Unesco Convention"

On second thoughts, maybe they'll name it after the councillors.....
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jan 11, 2009, 19:56
Oh dear, I really didn't want to comment on this topic. I know the site well as I travel to Avebury on a double-decker bus and get a good view.

A couple of points that haven't been mentioned. And I'm just playing devil's advocate here - I agree in principal with the stance HA have taken.

There are already buildings right next to the site.

The site is small so no way are five luxury homes going to fit there - I would envisage a terrace of small homes.

As HA feel very strongly about this matter, with justification ..... how about starting a campaign - in honour of Alexander Keiller - to raise the money to buy the land fom the developers (they probably want to get shot of it anyway) and then give the land back to the nation in trust so it can never be built on. I am sure if you broached it in the right way the National Trust and other local organisations would support you.

Just a thought .... no provocation intended.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Jan 11, 2009, 21:39
Jan 11, 2009, 19:57
The development will need a name, no prizes for guessing, it'll have to be "Henge View", surely?

Nah, they've gone one better and named it 'Harrington Court' ;-)

They also have the gall to state on their 'development' hoarding (see above link) that the new 'luxury' houses will be set in a World Heritage Site! Jeeze... I gave up long ago on English Heritage after they wanted to place a time capsule in Silbury! Now they're giving their tacit approval (while dithering over the future of Stonehenge, and at the same time still selling fast food there) for five new 'luxury' homes within the Avebury World Heritage Site! English 'Heritage'? Pha! More like English Can't-get-even-the-most-blindingly-obvious-issues right!

UNESCO... are you out there anywhere? Because if you are the imbeciles responsible for the Silbury time capsule/Bonds Garage development incompetence need hauling over hot coals!
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jan 11, 2009, 21:45
It's an interesting idea but not something I personally would want to be involved in unless I was confident in advance that the money could be raised.

It has to be borne in mind the land has little value other than what has been created out of the ether by nothing more than two sets of councillors raising their hands and the site's statutory guardians sitting on theirs.

Without those hand movements the land could be bought for peanuts. Is the public going to be willing to fork out hundreds of thousands of pounds once they understand that? I rather doubt it.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jan 11, 2009, 21:54
I can't argue with that analysis - its really a touch of the emperor's new clothes, as the whole property owning bubble has turned out to be.

Thank you though, for your answer.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Jan 11, 2009, 22:16
Oops you sound like someone from long ago, nothing changes... Keiller in a letter to a Scottish newspaper in 1923...

"Perhaps an even more horrible side of the proposal is that a large number of houses are to be built in connection with the scheme just outside the village of Avebury itself. Even Tom Robinson, the leader of the vandals who, in the eighteenth century destroyed so many of the mighty monoliths for the purpose of utilising the stone in the erection of trumpery cottages, could not have treated this greatest monument in Britain, or, for that matter of its kind in the world, with greater disdain and indifference"

Wonder who put their foot down that time around?
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jan 12, 2009, 06:49
tjj wrote:
I can't argue with that analysis...... Thank you though, for your answer.

June,
I see you have asked for opinions on this issue elsewhere and that as a result you’re now in two minds about it, someone having advised you they are “all for it” and that “The buildings will go up in time and no amount of bleating from heritage bullies will change that.“

Gosh.
On the other hand, here is a list of some of the bodies that aren’t “all for it” and actually strongly object to it:

English Heritage
The National Trust
The Avebury Society
The County Council's World Heritage Site and Conservation Officers
ICOMOS-UK (which advises UNESCO on the World Heritage Site)

(plus, judging by the quotes, Keiller himself!)

Hope that helps. Quite a significant list of “heritage bullies” isn’t it?!
I guess it’s up to you to decide whose opinion you value most.
;)
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jan 12, 2009, 12:09
Hope that helps. Quite a significant list of “heritage bullies” isn’t it?!

Not forgetting of course this from Lord and Lady Kennet dated 7-1-08 -

Dear Prime Minister,

A right decision on Stonehenge was finally taken by ministers last month – after many expensive mishaps.

Now, at Avebury, within the same World Heritage Site, (Stonehenge, Avebury and Associated Sites), a very damaging decision is about to be taken by the Local Authority – to allow five three-bedroom houses to be built almost up against the monument’s great bank. (Bond’s Garage, Swindon Road, Avebury, Application No. K/57449/F.)

Despite strong objections from English Heritage, the National Trust, the Wilshire Archaeological and Natural History Society, the Campaign for the Protection of Rural England, ICOMOS-UK, and several other qualified organisations, we hear that officials are recommending approval: the decision comes up on January 10th – i.e. this coming Thursday.

Supporters of the plans dislike the existing mess, which can perfectly well be cleared up without building five new commuter houses within the World Heritage Site.

This should be called in for Public Enquiry.

Re: http://tinyurl.com/954lv2
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index