The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Sussex?

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Zos
389 posts

Sussex?
May 22, 2002, 23:29
Is there anything of note in Sussex? I'm going there for my hols and I'm wondering if there's anything suitably ancient about - 'cept for the countryside, of course. I tried as search on TMA, but nothing really came up... The only thing I've been able to find is a vague reference to the 'Blaxall stone', which sounds like a bit of an interesting oddity...
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: Sussex?
May 23, 2002, 09:06
The Blaxhall Stone is in Suffolk, not Sussex - I don't think it's much to look at anyway! Have you had a look on the 'techno map browser' on TMA - that'll show you exactly where the sites are easily?
12 bar
24 posts

Sussexy
May 23, 2002, 10:20
Cissbury Ring, my dear. A Neolithic hill above Worthing full of flint mines and ancient yews. Excellent picnics and views.

The Trundle, a Neolithic enclosure accessed by travelling towards Goodwood race course then folling signs. View simply spectacular.

Bow Hill to its direct near west is home of the most ancient Yew forest of Kingley vale, and is surmounted with large spectacular barrows. A rollicking good time.

Views for free and peace of mind guaranteed.
Zos
389 posts

Suffolk!
May 23, 2002, 11:14
Ah, yes, Suffolk - that's where I'm going. Silly me. :o)
12 bar
24 posts

Re: Suffolk!
May 23, 2002, 11:53
Suffolk's sake!
konaman
konaman
533 posts

May 23, 2002, 22:31
Why would you want to go to Suffolk when you could come to Sunny Sussex?
BrigantesNation
1733 posts

Re: Sussex?
May 24, 2002, 01:33
Sutton Hoo is close, in north east essex.
I think there's a major mining site in norfolk, also one of the museums has some fantastic gold torques that were found in a hoard in the region.
Zos
389 posts

May 24, 2002, 08:05
Well, we've got no money to go anywhere, and my girlfriend's parents were going to Suffolk, so we thought we'd tag along for a few days.

Damn, though - the replies from 12 bar and BrigantesNation make me want to go to Sussex, now...

Z :)
BrigantesNation
1733 posts

May 24, 2002, 09:32
Hi Zos,

The stuff I mentioned is around Suffolk. I'm away from home at the moment so can't get better details. That mining site I mentioned is v important, I think it was a bronze age flint mine. Antler picks were used for digging.
BrigantesNation
1733 posts

Flag Fen?
May 24, 2002, 09:43
How about Flag Fen - an excellent Bronze Age site in Cambridge:
http://www.flagfen.com/
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index