Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: BUY IT NOW!
Jan 31, 2008, 08:08
Rupert Soskin wrote:
how do you place the theories about phallus worshipping cults and all?

I live in Ireland and I'm a good friend of Anthony Weir - http://www.beyond-the-pale.org.uk/phallic2.htm - it's hard not to get phallic over here! There are several phallic standing stones in early churchyards here as well as the more remote standing stones. I was at one of the most phallic stones I've ever seen last weekend, but I haven't added it to my website yet - a picture of it can be seen on the above page (Ballygilbert), but that picture really doesn't do it justice.

That 'split in the bark' on the BCD stone is very convincing, by the way.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Jan 31, 2008, 09:16
This tree/stone struck a chord, Lough Gur to be precise - mythography forum quote;

Michael Dames -Sacred Ireland.. This is the Tree of Trees rooted in the bed of Lough Gur (very sacred prehistoric place). Every seven years the lake would dry out and this tree would appear, Dames in HIS legend-making equates the tree with Eogabal (Aine's treetrunk father). Eogabal has united with his brother Uainide, now this is where Dame's storytelling unfolds. Both men traveled from the central Uisnech (central sacred hill) to confirm the mountain named after the goddess Aine as Munster's centre. So the Tree of trees drew several layers of reality together, Eogabal + Uainide = axis mundi = World Tree. to quote "the mythic synthesising vegetable, which brings the world of the gods and humanity together. It stands like the Christian cross at the centre of many European cosmologies".
There is a standing stone named Cloch a bhile(Stone of the Tree). This stone stand south west of the henge monument, and is an extraordinary dramatic stone. So in this celtic world of many layers the phantom tree beneath the lough, the ideal tree would be seen again. Equally the stone tree was also an outpost of the sacred, where treetrunk and Aine's female trunk merged into one effigy, a cosmological axis...

Not sure where Michael Dames got his information from, turning stones into trees, or if this is all a bit of folktale similar to 'thrown devil stones' in England. ;)
bawn79
bawn79
864 posts

Jan 31, 2008, 09:44
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/57626/images/stone_of_the_tree.html

This is the stone you are on about moss. As far as I know it is part of the mythology of the area rather than folklore.
Rupert Soskin
234 posts

Jan 31, 2008, 09:48
Thanks for that link, there's some extraordinary stuff on there that I knew nothing about. It would be good to get some solid dating on these things to attempt some kind of chronology of beliefs.

Rupert
Rupert Soskin
234 posts

Jan 31, 2008, 09:54
This is exciting stuff Moss. My knowledge of folklore is not that great, I think I've got a ton of reading to do!

Rupert
BuckyE
468 posts

Re: America
Feb 01, 2008, 17:20
Ah well. Another reason to go back to the UK: can't see the video.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Feb 01, 2008, 17:29
BuckyE wrote:

You know you want to, and we'd love to see you both again this year.
Michael Bott
60 posts

Feb 01, 2008, 17:42
BuckyE wrote:

Bucky - send me an email at [email protected] and we'll see what we can do.
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Re: Standing with Stones DVD
Feb 01, 2008, 18:22
Hi Rupert and Michael
Moth and I have so enjoyed watching Standing with Stones this week, I thought I'd blog about it on my own website and give you a bit of publicity. (I get a few readers, I think...)
http://www.janetomlinson.com/journal/index.php?id=409
I hope you don't mind.

I am particularly excited about the 'Yggdrasil' stone tree observation. What a saddo I am - I've been thinking about it all week! Not least - 'how did I not notice that when it's RIGHT THERE staring us in the face?' but then someone observed the same of Darwin's theory of evolution.
J
x
BuckyE
468 posts

Feb 01, 2008, 18:32
Littlestone wrote:
BuckyE wrote:

You know you want to, and we'd love to see you both again this year.

Of course we do, and you are as always too kind. But please see my post to the 2008 Megameet thread!
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index