2008 Avebury Megameet

Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Spaceship mark
Spaceship mark
1686 posts

Re: 2008 Avebury Megameet
Feb 06, 2008, 17:06
Y'know what. I'm gonna check the calender and see if I can come too. I've met so few of you lovely types I really should do something about it...
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Feb 07, 2008, 09:02
Feb 06, 2008, 17:30
Yeah, try'n make it Sm :-)

It's open to one and all, and no single individual actually organises it - it just kind of gels of its own accord. We aim to meet up close to the Cove around noon on the day. Good idea to bring something to sit on, and some peeps in the past have brought something to eat and drink as well, plus photos of places they've been to or stuff they have a special interest in. Nothing formal, just a bit of chat with like-minded folks.

Last year we got rained out so naturally retired to the big bar at the Red Lion ;-)
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Feb 07, 2008, 10:56
Jane wrote:
Hey, Goff, you must bring your wife and baby Michael, too. I haven't had the pleasure of a squeezy cuddle of your sproglet yet!

Of course! We come as a unit! :)

He'll like that - he likes a good cuddle, does Little Goff... Roll on end of June!

G x
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Weather forecasts
Feb 07, 2008, 15:41
The month of June is quite good weather wise, a bit early but everything is still fresh - perhaps you should invest in a long term weather forecast phone call ;)

Though not a long term weather forecast, the BBC 5 day forecast is quite good. This one's for Marlborough - http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?id=3468 but it can be used for anywhere in the country - just bung in the name or postcode of the area you're thinking of visiting.
BuckyE
468 posts

Feb 07, 2008, 16:06
Ah, all you kids.

Rupert, I read that you live in "the south of France." It may be old news, but if you haven't run across it, you might be interested in Bruno Marc's site, especially his guidebooks: http://bruno.marc1.free.fr/dolmen/doc.html .

We had been hoping his Quercy guide would be published in time for Driving the Stone Age VII: The Lot and Paris, but alas, the publication is now set for May 2009.

We used his book on the Languedoc during DtSA II: Peret. Our French was just barely adequate to get the gist of his directions. We found, I think, four of the five sites we aimed for on the expotition we undertook using one of the drives in his book. Anyone Else's Mileage May Vary!
Spaceship mark
Spaceship mark
1686 posts

Feb 07, 2008, 16:28
Bruno is very useful but his directions, even to a reasonable French speaker, can be very flowery. Combine with the IGN 1:25000 maps and you're much better off...
Rupert Soskin
234 posts

Feb 07, 2008, 18:38
Thanks for the link Bucky, I hadn't seen it before.
I've visited a number of the sites but still loads to go. The dates of some of them are just mind blowing. Carvings 15,000 old, paintings over 30,000 years old!!

If you don't know them, check out the Chauvet caves

http://www.bradshawfoundation.com/chauvet/

Meanwhile I'll go through that link more carefully
Thanks again

Rupert
BuckyE
468 posts

Feb 07, 2008, 19:20
Yes, thanks, we made sure to work with the local Series Bleu map for the area we were investigating with Bruno's guide. Even so, we got really close to at least one dolmen without being able to find it. Asking at a few farmhouses for directions helped even more!
BuckyE
468 posts

Feb 07, 2008, 19:29
Very nice link, thanks. On Driving the Stone Age II: Peret, we visited the Cave of Niaux. Long day trip from Peret, but well worth it.

On DtSA VII: Lot & Paris, we visited Perch Merle, Grotte de Cougnac and Lascaux II. (For caves.) We had a reservation to visit Font de Gaume, but a medical emergency prevented us from making it. Just another reason to return to the south of France! Although Quercy isn't the Languedoc, or vice versa.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Mar 06, 2008, 18:38
Bump.

Looks like it's Sunday, 29 June then :-) Weather permitting, meet by the Cove around noon?
Pages: 14 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index