tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: fao Paulus
Oct 15, 2007, 18:55
Paulus wrote:
Hi George!

tiompan wrote:
Hello Paul , check a wee bit down for a posting on angels .BRAC has most of the Muir of Gormack /Loch Bennachally stuff including new finds .

I should have known!

tiompan wrote:
The stone at Leco Beannie is called Clach na Nathraiche = serpent= adder ,area not the best for them but they are there .

Any folklore or owt for the serpenty stuff? Or izzit likely to just be snakes?

tiompan wrote:
I haev had a good look around and there are plenty of of "natural" but nothing man made except a couple of basins near the loch .

So d' y' reckon the Royal Commission stuff entry for that aint a true relic - just Nature's handiwork?

No problem with the Glean Beannie stone definitely man made carvings , it's one of those prominent first thing you would look at as you enter the area , simple cups , type of rock . No folklore about the stone that I know of , despite the word meaning adder and they get referred to as serpents ,the serpent stones were curing stones so more than likely a description of a that rather than local fauna . BTW found a "new" quite N .Yorks type of marked rock a couple of days ago near Blair Atholl , should be on BRAC tomorrow , called Creag an Eironnaich .

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index