fao Paulus

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

fao Paulus
Oct 15, 2007, 16:17
Hello Paul , check a wee bit down for a posting on angels .BRAC has most of the Muir of Gormack /Loch Bennachally stuff including new finds . The stone at Leco Beannie is called Clach na Nathraiche = serpent= adder ,area not the best for them but they are there . or Marriche = Labyrinth . I haev had a good look around and there are plenty of of "natural" but nothing man made except a couple of basins near the loch .
Paulus
Paulus
769 posts

Re: fao Paulus
Oct 15, 2007, 18:10
Hi George!

tiompan wrote:
Hello Paul , check a wee bit down for a posting on angels .BRAC has most of the Muir of Gormack /Loch Bennachally stuff including new finds .

I should have known!

tiompan wrote:
The stone at Leco Beannie is called Clach na Nathraiche = serpent= adder ,area not the best for them but they are there .

Any folklore or owt for the serpenty stuff? Or izzit likely to just be snakes?

tiompan wrote:
I haev had a good look around and there are plenty of of "natural" but nothing man made except a couple of basins near the loch .

So d' y' reckon the Royal Commission stuff entry for that aint a true relic - just Nature's handiwork?
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Oct 15, 2007, 18:55
Paulus wrote:
Hi George!

tiompan wrote:
Hello Paul , check a wee bit down for a posting on angels .BRAC has most of the Muir of Gormack /Loch Bennachally stuff including new finds .

I should have known!

tiompan wrote:
The stone at Leco Beannie is called Clach na Nathraiche = serpent= adder ,area not the best for them but they are there .

Any folklore or owt for the serpenty stuff? Or izzit likely to just be snakes?

tiompan wrote:
I haev had a good look around and there are plenty of of "natural" but nothing man made except a couple of basins near the loch .

So d' y' reckon the Royal Commission stuff entry for that aint a true relic - just Nature's handiwork?

No problem with the Glean Beannie stone definitely man made carvings , it's one of those prominent first thing you would look at as you enter the area , simple cups , type of rock . No folklore about the stone that I know of , despite the word meaning adder and they get referred to as serpents ,the serpent stones were curing stones so more than likely a description of a that rather than local fauna . BTW found a "new" quite N .Yorks type of marked rock a couple of days ago near Blair Atholl , should be on BRAC tomorrow , called Creag an Eironnaich .
Paulus
Paulus
769 posts

Oct 15, 2007, 20:29
tiompan wrote:
BTW found a "new" quite N .Yorks type of marked rock a couple of days ago near Blair Atholl , should be on BRAC tomorrow , called Creag an Eironnaich .

Look forward to seeing it. I'm gonna be frobbling about in Perthshire, camping and CnR hunting either side of Yule. Might have a wander round the area misself - though Glen Lochay's been calling me again: a few tempting placenames 'n' an old lady who I met last time I was up there who spoke of some 'unknown' sites Tirai-way.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Oct 16, 2007, 09:54
Paulus wrote:
tiompan wrote:
BTW found a "new" quite N .Yorks type of marked rock a couple of days ago near Blair Atholl , should be on BRAC tomorrow , called Creag an Eironnaich .

Look forward to seeing it. I'm gonna be frobbling about in Perthshire, camping and CnR hunting either side of Yule. Might have a wander round the area misself - though Glen Lochay's been calling me again: a few tempting placenames 'n' an old lady who I met last time I was up there who spoke of some 'unknown' sites Tirai-way.

Did you see the Cnoc nan aingeal thread ?
If you go to Lochay let me know and I'll give you the grid refs for the new finds there .
"Unknown " sites near Tirai and what place names ?
Paulus
Paulus
769 posts

Oct 16, 2007, 10:00
tiompan wrote:
Did you see the Cnoc nan aingeal thread ?

Nope. I'll have a scan and find it later (gotta go out now).

tiompan wrote:
If you go to Lochay let me know and I'll give you the grid refs for the new finds there .

Cheers George. I let y' know.

tiompan wrote:
"Unknown " sites near Tirai and what place names ?

An old lady living halfway down the valley, just below Tirai, told us of other carvings she knew which aint in the record books. And the placenames are of the Bodach, along the ridge running by the connecting road from Lochay to Lyon. Don't tell me - you've already checked 'em!?
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Oct 16, 2007, 10:13
Paulus wrote:

An old lady living halfway down the valley, just below Tirai, told us of other carvings she knew which aint in the record books. And the placenames are of the Bodach, along the ridge running by the connecting road from Lochay to Lyon. Don't tell me - you've already checked 'em!?

No , the new finds were all to the east of Tirai , except one which is west of where the road stops. There is a Creag nam Bodach which is to the west of the old track , now driveable from Lochay to Lyon but oddly no Caillich to mirror it ,as is often the case , on the other side .
Paulus
Paulus
769 posts

Oct 16, 2007, 10:20
tiompan wrote:
[quote="Paulus"] No , the new finds were all to the east of Tirai , except one which is west of where the road stops. There is a Creag nam Bodach which is to the west of the old track , now driveable from Lochay to Lyon but oddly no Caillich to mirror it ,as is often the case , on the other side .

That's exactly the spot! And no cailleach as you say. I checked a lotta old maps of the surrounding areas but found nowt to complement it, but reckon it's worth having a scout round. At the very least, well worth camping in the region for a fortnight's even if there's nowt to find. Tis a bloody superb region!
Paulus
Paulus
769 posts

Oct 16, 2007, 10:21
tiompan wrote:
[quote="Paulus"] No , the new finds were all to the east of Tirai , except one which is west of where the road stops.

...and these might be the ones the old lady told me about. I'm certainly gonna have a waffle with her when I'm up there next. She also knew a helluva lot of the folklore up there aswell.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Oct 16, 2007, 13:28
that will be great - partic. the folklore bit , especially if you feel you can post it up here. (it will certainly make a welcome change from ancient accounts I find from antiquaries quoting 'peasants'). good luck,
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index