The Rotherwas serpent

125 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Robert Carr
84 posts

Edited Jul 15, 2007, 11:22
Bridges - not many people know that
Jul 15, 2007, 10:16
The official response to the sad Rotherwas Affair by Hereford Archaeology published on 10th July 2007 starts off making all the right noises with liberal use of words such as important, unique and further exploration. No doubt these are the thoughts of County Archaeologist, Dr Keith Ray MBE.

About half way though it appears to have been hijacked by the spin doctors at the Herefordshire Council press office with talk of erosion (fix this please) and difficult decisions during a major and economically important infrastructure project.

One little gem:

A Herefordshire Council expert wrote:
(Building a bridge) ... could have very detrimental 'side effects' - as anyone who has ever built a bridge - or seen one being built - will understand.

I had cause to ponder this revelation on my walk this morning down to the village to get the Sunday papers (Telegraph) (and Mail this week) as I had to traverse two of these problematic structures. On considered reflection I conclude that in fact bridges are quite useful with only minor 'side effects'. After all I was certainly not going to wade thigh deep through two streams - not even for the new Prince CD!
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index