Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Books of possible interest

Pages: 47 – [ Previous | 136 37 38 39 40 41 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Re: The Ancient Stones of Wales: Chris Barber and...
Aug 25, 2012, 11:37
moss wrote:
Thanks, they are very enigmatic these stones, as everyone says it is their broadness and height. Reminds me of those ranges of Welsh hills, softly mounded and not 'spiky' perhaps they are echoing the hills around, or of course the only stones in the vicinity to make a prehistoric monument.

Like your blog on the subject by the way and....................... a link to Morfe's b/w photo which catches their strangeness

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/25223/four_stones.html

That's a terrific photo. you're kind re the blog, thanks. It was a strange day out that, all sorts of adverse weather and surprising emotions kicking in.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Chris Barber - Exploring Gwent
Sep 08, 2012, 17:47
Subtitled "A Walker's Guide to Gwent, Land of History and Legend"

1984 Regional Publications (Bristol) Limited

Decent walking guide (maps would need to supplemented by the relevant OS 1:25000 to be much use) containing loads of interesting stuff about the old county of Gwent. Chris Barber has written a number of interesting books about Welsh sites, landscape and walking.

Includes 45 walks of varying lengths, dividing the county into distinct areas:

- Black Mountains
- Three Peaks of Abergavenny (Sugarloaf, Ysgyryd Fawr, Blorenge)
- The Vale of Usk
-Wentwood
- The Coastal Plain (i.e the Gwent Levels)
- Western Valleys
- Cobbler's Plain (Trellech)
- The Wye Valley
- Three Castles
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Re: Chris Barber - Exploring Gwent
Sep 08, 2012, 18:23
Not a book as such, but flying through the letterbox this morning came an extract from the Royal Institue of Archaeology journal of 1959, "Barrows of the Chilterns" by James Dyer.
I've been meaning to get it for ages. Can't wait to tuck in!
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Edited Sep 25, 2012, 10:40
Silver Bough
Sep 25, 2012, 10:32
I have recently finished 'The Silver Bough' by Neil M Gunn and must recommend it to all here.

My third Gunn book and i've been absolutely entranced by each one, but this is my favourite so far. (Im going to have to read them all)

His communication is so rarefied it feels almost peverse.
I've only ever read one other author in the same league, imo, and thats John Cowper Powys.

I cannot recommend this book highly enough.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Re: Silver Bough
Sep 25, 2012, 10:42
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
I have recently finished 'The Silver Bough' by Neil M Gunn and must recommend it to all here.

My third Gunn book and i've been absolutely entranced by each one, but this is my favourite so far. (Im going to have to read them all)

I've only ever read one other author in the same league, imo, and thats John Cowper Powys.

Some mp3's
http://www.neilgunn.org.uk/
That's the first mention of JCP I have come across in a very long time .
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Sep 25, 2012, 10:46
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:

Some mp3's

Thanks for the link Tiompan. Have you read Wolf Solent by JCP?
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Sep 25, 2012, 11:07
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:

Some mp3's

Wolf Solent, Weymouth Sands , one of the later shorter novellas but can't remember which one .Still got "In defence of sensuality " . Village books which used to be in Regent street reprinted some of his stuff in the early 70 's as well as as championing quite a few other obscure ,mainly British authors .
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Sep 25, 2012, 11:27
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:

Some mp3's

Wolf Solent, Weymouth Sands , one of the later shorter novellas but can't remember which one .Still got "In defence of sensuality " . Village books which used to be in Regent street reprinted some of his stuff in the early 70 's as well as as championing quite a few other obscure ,mainly British authors .

I've got Wolf Solent and A Glastonbury Romance. I didn't get on with GR as well as Wolf Solent.
'In defence of sensuality' was one I liked the look of. I also want to read 'autobiography'.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Sep 25, 2012, 11:39
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:

Some mp3's

I've got Wolf Solent and A Glastonbury Romance. I didn't get on with GR as well as Wolf Solent.
'In defence of sensuality' was one I liked the look of. I also want to read 'autobiography'.

I avoided GR for some reason , maybe on advice .Big tomes eh ,although IDOS isn't . His brother , T.F was also an author .
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Sep 25, 2012, 12:00
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
tiompan wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:

Some mp3's

I avoided GR for some reason , maybe on advice .Big tomes eh ,although IDOS isn't . His brother , T.F was also an author .

Yes, Llewelyn also.
Big tomes indeed! I was initially daunted by the length of WS, but after just the first page could not leave it alone for more than a few hours at a time. I'd never thought it possible a book could speak to me like that, without wanting to sound trite.
Easily my favourite novel.

I will tackle Porius at some point, i've decided. But it requires preparation!
Pages: 47 – [ Previous | 136 37 38 39 40 41 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index