Books of possible interest

Pages: 47 – [ Previous | 135 36 37 38 39 40 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Modern Avebury: Ronald Hutton
Jul 10, 2012, 08:30
Ahh... good. Yes, it is well written, and he’s a really nice fella, Ronald Hutton.
VBB
558 posts

Re: Modern Avebury: Ronald Hutton
Jul 13, 2012, 12:11
Sanctuary wrote:
Littlestone wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
Littlestone wrote:
Modern Avebury by Ronald Hutton. 32 in the Stonehenge and Avebury Revised Research Framework (SARRF) by Wessex Archaeology.

Yes that just about sums it all up doesn't it. Still as much a mystery as ever!

If you mean the coding, Mr S, you might need to wait a sec for it to load correctly...

Just Ronald Hutton's article LS which is an accurate description of what has gone before and sourced from previous works. I found it well written and informative and put together well.

It is just one of the many new and updated chapters - hang on I'll post up the link....
VBB
558 posts

New research agenda for Stonehenge and Avebury WHS
Jul 13, 2012, 12:14
Wessex Archaeology is pleased to announce that the new draft research
agenda for the Stonehenge and Avebury World Heritage Site is now
publicly available for consultation via the SARRF website:

http://www.wessexarch.co.uk/projects/wiltshire/stonehenge-avebury-rrf

The agenda is supported by a revised resource assessment for Avebury and an update for Stonehenge, which are also available via the website.

Wessex Archaeology is being funded by English Heritage to manage the
preparation of this document and coordinate voluntary contributions from
professionals and academics with expert knowledge of the World Heritage
Site.

The project team is keen to receive feedback from colleagues and the
wider public regarding the content of the current texts. Please email
your comments and suggestions to [email protected]

Please also feel free to disseminate to anyone you feel would be
interested in commenting on the agenda or the resource assessments.

Some Avebury resource assessment papers remain outstanding, but will be uploaded to the website to view as soon as they are received.

Consultation will close in September, after which all comments received
will be carefully considered and reflected in the final revised Research
Framework documents. We appreciate your time in responding to this
consultation, and in making an important contribution to help guide
future work at the Stonehenge and Avebury World Heritage Site.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Edited Jul 14, 2012, 08:19
Re: New research agenda for Stonehenge and Avebury WHS
Jul 14, 2012, 08:16
VBB wrote:
Wessex Archaeology is pleased to announce that the new draft research
agenda for the Stonehenge and Avebury World Heritage Site is now
publicly available for consultation via the SARRF website:

http://www.wessexarch.co.uk/projects/wiltshire/stonehenge-avebury-rrf

The agenda is supported by a revised resource assessment for Avebury and an update for Stonehenge, which are also available via the website.

Wessex Archaeology is being funded by English Heritage to manage the
preparation of this document and coordinate voluntary contributions from
professionals and academics with expert knowledge of the World Heritage
Site.

The project team is keen to receive feedback from colleagues and the
wider public regarding the content of the current texts. Please email
your comments and suggestions to [email protected]

Please also feel free to disseminate to anyone you feel would be
interested in commenting on the agenda or the resource assessments.

Some Avebury resource assessment papers remain outstanding, but will be uploaded to the website to view as soon as they are received.

Consultation will close in September, after which all comments received
will be carefully considered and reflected in the final revised Research
Framework documents. We appreciate your time in responding to this
consultation, and in making an important contribution to help guide
future work at the Stonehenge and Avebury World Heritage Site.

Thanks for the heads-up VBB, a very interesting document. Plenty to discuss with many 'unfinished' areas to be revisited and an opportunity to to express ones views. Just ONE of the first things that stood out for me was the complete excavation of a new barrow but plenty there to hold forum discussion on. Bring it on.
VBB
558 posts

The Stones in the Park
Jul 24, 2012, 07:08
By Richard Havers (Haynes, 2009).
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Re: The Ancient Stones of Wales: Chris Barber and...
Aug 24, 2012, 21:27
Littlestone wrote:
The Ancient Stones of Wales by Chris Barber and John Godfrey Williams.

"Erected by megalithic men for some long forgotten purpose, these ancient stones are riddles in the landscape that have yet to be solved. This book explores this intriguing subject in considerable detail, providing descriptions of all the recognized megalithic monuments in Wales and it is illustrated with a profusion of photographs."

ISBN 0-9510444-7-8.

(Worthy of a separate mention moss?).

Definitely worthy, although the gazetteer is a little bit iffy in places, as some stones appear more than once with slightly different grid refs/spellings. Very much worth buying though (I found a second hand copy in a very decent bookshop in Blaenavon a couple of years ago).

Warning: Book contains a photo of the author standing on top of Maen Llia, which may upset those of a nervous disposition.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Aug 24, 2012, 22:22
thesweetcheat wrote:
Littlestone wrote:

"Erected by megalithic men for some long forgotten purpose, these ancient stones are riddles in the landscape that have yet to be solved. This book explores this intriguing subject in considerable detail, providing descriptions of all the recognized megalithic monuments in Wales and it is illustrated with a profusion of photographs."

ISBN 0-9510444-7-8.

Definitely worthy, although the gazetteer is a little bit iffy in places, as some stones appear more than once with slightly different grid refs/spellings. Very much worth buying though (I found a second hand copy in a very decent bookshop in Blaenavon a couple of years ago).

Warning: Book contains a photo of the author standing on top of Maen Llia, which may upset those of a nervous disposition.

It's like being called back from the dead, we've been to Yorkshire since ;)
But yes the wicked man is standing on Maen Lia. Notice it's a stone that likes to go down to the river Ned to drink water. I was fascinated by the four stones at Walton, Powys two pages on though... deep circular hollows on top of the largest stone.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Aug 24, 2012, 22:27
moss wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
Littlestone wrote:

ISBN 0-9510444-7-8.

But yes the wicked man is standing on Maen Lia. Notice it's a stone that likes to go down to the river Ned to drink water. I was fascinated by the four stones at Walton, Powys two pages on though... deep circular hollows on top of the largest stone.

Nowt wrong with Yorkshire, it's not quite the afterlife (that's Eastbourne I think). Four Stones is a lovely site Moss, I'd highly recommend a visit (very easy access next to the road). The hollows are probably erosion, but cupmarks are a feature in that area (e.g. Kinsham).
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6216 posts

Aug 24, 2012, 22:46
thesweetcheat wrote:
moss wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
Littlestone wrote:

ISBN 0-9510444-7-8.

Nowt wrong with Yorkshire, it's not quite the afterlife (that's Eastbourne I think). Four Stones is a lovely site Moss, I'd highly recommend a visit (very easy access next to the road). The hollows are probably erosion, but cupmarks are a feature in that area (e.g. Kinsham).

Self-correction - there are cupmarks on one of the Four Stones, but they're probably not the deep circular hollows mentioned, as they're quite small and shallow (Kammer's posted a helpful picture on here).
moss
moss
2897 posts

Edited Aug 25, 2012, 11:11
Aug 25, 2012, 11:09
Self-correction - there are cupmarks on one of the Four Stones, but they're probably not the deep circular hollows mentioned, as they're quite small and shallow (Kammer's posted a helpful picture on here).[/quote]

Thanks, they are very enigmatic these stones, as everyone says it is their broadness and height. Reminds me of those ranges of Welsh hills, softly mounded and not 'spiky' perhaps they are echoing the hills around, or of course the only stones in the vicinity to make a prehistoric monument.

Like your blog on the subject by the way and....................... a link to Morfe's b/w photo which catches their strangeness

http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/post/25223/four_stones.html
Pages: 47 – [ Previous | 135 36 37 38 39 40 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index