Motherlode

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Wotan
Wotan
606 posts

Motherlode
Feb 20, 2002, 11:08
Whoops - helps to get it in the right section!

Is there any indication that magnetite has ever been used or found near neolithic sites ?
w
Wotan
Wotan
606 posts

Re: Meteoric rise
Feb 21, 2002, 15:13
Or any materials of extraterrestial origin such as meteoric iron, tektites etc ?

And how about the use of crystals and geodes, while we're at it - either as decoration or tools..
Telepathine
371 posts

Re: Meteoric rise
Feb 21, 2002, 19:46
Not sure as far as the UK goes, but isn't the stone at the centre of Mecca supposed to be a large meteorite fragment. Hetty Peggars Tump in Gloucester has a large Amenite fossil in one of the entrance uprights, which i suppose was chosen for it's decorative proporties (besides the fact that the spiral remains of the amenite air chambers slightly resemble the sun).
Wotan
Wotan
606 posts

Re: Old Fossil
Feb 21, 2002, 19:51
I just love ammonites, one of the single most beautiful things in the earth. 'Spose it takes one to know one! :-)
Wotan
Wotan
606 posts

Re: Mecca
Feb 21, 2002, 19:54
I wonder if the black stone was fiercely magnetic and caused ferrous objects to point towards it?
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Re: Hety Peglars
Feb 21, 2002, 19:55
I think you'll find the fossil is at StoneyLittleton long barrow near bath not Hety Peglars.
PeteG
Wotan
Wotan
606 posts

Re: Right Direction ?
Feb 22, 2002, 10:17
The Chinese had a Geomantic compass made of lodestone concurrent with Stonehenge. Might a shard of lodestone suspended by a horesehair thread exhibited similar properties for the megalith builders?
wondering Wotan
Telepathine
371 posts

Feb 22, 2002, 18:21
That's the one, couldn't remember which had it, Stonety Littleton or Hetty Peggars.
Telepathine
371 posts

Feb 22, 2002, 18:22
Or even Stoney >:-s
Pete G
Pete G
3506 posts

Feb 22, 2002, 18:51
I found another stone with a large Ammonite on it near Avebury. The site is the Shelving Stones, which according to archaeolists, was destroyed 200 years ago.
The stone is now in someones garden as an ornament.
PeteG
Ps. Spectacular Panoramas of Stoney Littleton here
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/megalithics/england/stoneylt/stltpjs.htm
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index