Sea Henge »
Photographs of Seahenge

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Andrew P
5 posts

Photographs of Seahenge
Dec 10, 2006, 21:26
I've recorded a CD of music inspired by Seahenge (so-called - has anybody come up with a more appropriate name yet, as neither of the two formations was a henge?)

This is a CDR for private distribution, not a commercial release. Does anybody have any photographs of the Seahenge site that they'd be willing for me to use for the cover? Of course I'd credit you on the cover and send you a copy of the CD as thanks.
dee
1955 posts

Re: Photographs of Seahenge
Dec 11, 2006, 09:41
Seahenge...murdered by the idiotic Time Team....
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Dec 11, 2006, 10:02
dee wrote:
Seahenge...murdered by the idiotic Time Team....

Shortly before it was murdered by Mother Nature?
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Dec 11, 2006, 10:21
I guess it was a difficult call.
One could argue that the sea had preserved the structure and if nature had been allowed to follow it's course the monument would have been reburied within a reletively short period of time. Some locals were well aware of this circle and other structures and their periodic exposure and reburial.
A case of being caught between the (chainsaw wielding) devil and the deep blue sea.
dee
1955 posts

Dec 11, 2006, 12:36
True, it was a difficult call, i think things were handled very badly and nothing much was done with the monument when it was removed..... is it still at Flagfen?? i thought it was terrible the way it was ripped out of the sand......call me old fashioned and superstitious!!
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Dec 11, 2006, 13:33
From one of the news articles on tma:

"Around half to two-thirds of the original timbers and the central stump of the Seahenge circle will be at the [kings lynn] museum from early 2007. All the timbers from Seahenge, which made national headlines in 2001, will be at the museum but there won't be room to display the entire circle, although the final display sizes have yet to be finalised. The timbers are currently with the Marie Rose Trust in Portsmouth where work is being carried out to permanently preserve them so they can go on display. The treatment involves soaking the timbers in a wax substance before they are vacuum freeze-dried – a time-consuming process."
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Dec 11, 2006, 13:39
I agree with you matey. I recall the Time team show about it, seeing that fella taking a sample for dendrochronology using a fuckin' chainsaw and then the archaeos taking the piss out of the folk who turned up to protest the removal. I found it all to be very very sad.
Andrew P
5 posts

Dec 11, 2006, 14:02
With things like this I'm glad I don't have a TV.

Oddly enough, though, I did see Eddie Izzard talking about how they might do archaeology on TV - "the real thing? Too boring. Get the JCB in there..." He seems to have been horribly prophetic about that.

This is why there's a strong undertone of sadness in the music I did, though.
Andrew P
5 posts

Dec 11, 2006, 14:08
One possibility (necessary if there are no uncopyrighted photos of the crime scene) is to use a photo of the sea and shoreline, close up and focusing on the textures and shapes as land and sea meet. I've got some possibilities for that.

In view of the feelings we seem to share about Seahenge, that might be the most appropriate focus to have - the way the sea reveals and also destroys, and the fact that any photo of Seahenge is a photo of something that's no longer in situ.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Dec 12, 2006, 07:09
dee wrote:
i think things were handled very badly and nothing much was done with the monument when it was removed...

I agree. It was a terrible thing to watch. Has The Discovery Channel ever re-run that one? I doubt it somehow. I wonder if Channel 4 and the production company ever want that to be seen again. I doubt that as well somehow.
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index