Photographs of Seahenge

Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Photographs of Seahenge
Dec 12, 2006, 15:39
...i thought it was terrible the way it was ripped out of the sand...

Yes, the whole thing (removal) was handled very insensitively.

I just don't get it. I don't know why some in the 'academic' community can't get it through their thick heads that these places mean more than just historical/archaeological information. A little bit of compromise goes a long way. If the Seahenge archaeologists had brought in non-archaeological groups to offer a simple ceremony before the structure was removed it may have lessened some of the tension (perhaps they did and I missed it). You see the same thing on TV all the time; a freshly discovered skull prised form the soil without a modicum of ceremony. I remember visiting a dig outside Cirencester once with someone not from the Western tradition in archaeological excavation - she was horrified to see a half-excavated skeleton at the bottom of a rain-filled pit; first thing she did was collect some wild flowers and place them over the remains. A little more sensitivity please; these dug skeletons are not bits of coal, they are people who had lives and who laid down our history - not just grist for another primetime television show (or more facts to fill some archaeologist's latest publication).

Whether Seahenge should have been left to the sea or 'saved' is a different argument though.
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Dec 12, 2006, 22:37
True, a little bit of sympathy can go a long way.

Respect For The Ancestors, Within Reason (please).

You would have liked the conversation with a Japanese Lady I met today, she was intrigued that such thinking exists here.
dee
1955 posts

Dec 13, 2006, 14:12
Respect for the ancestors, within reason (please)

What does that mean exactly?? I say max respect for our ancestors at all times......but thats just me.
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Dec 13, 2006, 22:07
It means I was a bit trolleyed last night. Full of cold :(

I think what I was getting at was that respect must be tempered with an awareness that getting carried away with ancestral reverence can result in things like ethnic cleansing. I know that's a pretty unlikely and tennuous train of thought, but my mind has a tendency to wander off at tangents.
dee
1955 posts

Dec 14, 2006, 13:10
Fair e nuff hobby!!
CianMcLiam
CianMcLiam
1067 posts

Dec 16, 2006, 00:01
I found this by complete accident when I was looking for something else:

http://www.geocities.com/jilaens/seahenge300.jpg

Wow! If you can find the copyright holder and get permission I think that would be you sorted.

I also saw this on the same page: http://www.geocities.com/jilaens/newgrange_int.jpg How on earth did they get permission to take a photo inside and put candles all over the place?! Feck sake, I need two million in insurance cover before they'll even consider me taking pics inside.
Vicster
Vicster
662 posts

Dec 16, 2006, 16:09
CianMcLiam wrote:
http://www.geocities.com/jilaens/newgrange_int.jpg How on earth did they get permission to take a photo inside and put candles all over the place?! Feck sake, I need two million in insurance cover before they'll even consider me taking pics inside.

What exactly do they think you are going to do in there???????? It's hardly like being let loose in a museum and breaking a ming vase is it? Can't imagine you could do that much damage with your tripod!
Andrew P
5 posts

Dec 18, 2006, 00:08
Thanks. That site has exceeded its bandwidth, so I'll have to wait until they're sorted before I can check out those two photos. I'll keep trying them, though.
Andrew P
5 posts

Dec 18, 2006, 00:10
Sorry - photo, singular. The other one is the Newgrange one.
Pages: 2 – [ Previous | 1 2 ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index