Monu-Mental About Prehistoric Dublin

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
CianMcLiam
CianMcLiam
1067 posts

Re: Monu-Mental About Prehistoric Dublin Launch
Nov 11, 2006, 16:19
Gah! Sounds like a good evening, would have liked to have been there but the invite never fell through the letter box. Boo hoo :(

Glad it went well though :)
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Nov 11, 2006, 16:21
CianMcLiam wrote:
but the invite never fell through the letter box.

Really? You're not the only one that it didn't get delivered to. You were definitely on the mailing list. Sorry about that. I thought it was strange thet you weren't there and hadn't let me know you couldn't make it. Shoot da postie!
StewardsofGondor
90 posts

Nov 13, 2006, 11:15
Yup, have to echo what ryaner said. Great evening, great book. I think you may have even converted my sister Tom! Something i have been trying to do for years :D

Had a grand chat with ryaner, nice to meet another member of TMA! Think I've met all the Irish bunch now except bawn. Maybe at the next book launch :P
bawn79
bawn79
864 posts

Re: Monu-Mental About Prehistoric Dublin
Nov 13, 2006, 11:54
I had a read of it over the weekend, its very good.
One possible improvement and Im sure there are good reasons of it but could the pics not be in colour?
Seem to lose a lot of detail on some of the pics. Probably a cost think I expect. Maybe in later editions or maybe you could do a limited edition run or something.

Derry or Donegal would be great, do you think you will really be able to include all the sites up there though, would surely be a far bigger book than the one on dublin?
I went back myself over the North Tipp inventory over the weekend for a read and I was kinda thinking I had a look at most of the stuff around but id say I have only looked at 25% of the stuff. So there is probably 75% left that is not marked on the OS maps!
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Nov 13, 2006, 14:25
bawn79 wrote:
Probably a cost think I expect.

Yup. Full colour would have placed the book somewhere around 25 euro. The cheap way of getting colour in there is to put in a section of colour plates - maybe next time around.
ryaner
ryaner
679 posts

Nov 16, 2006, 13:04
Received the book this morning FW. Thanks for the promptness and your sig.

I see in the bibliography that you researched papers on a (I'm paraphrasing here) prehistoric site in Drimnagh.

This reminded me of a question that I meant to ask at the launch: In all the research that you undertook, did you ever come across mention of prehistoric sites/monuments that would have been in the Dublin city area? In the intro, you mention the Dublin plain, the area now occupied by the city. Given that up until relatively recently places like Rathmines were still villages, I can't help but wonder about sites/monuments that may have been concreted over in the 20th century. Are there any records for these (if they ever existed)?
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Nov 16, 2006, 13:20
Drimnagh is the main one. The Druids' Judgement Seat was a great loss - even though it does provide much amusement today :-) A second tomb near to Ballybrack and a wedgetomb near to the coast just north of Dun Laoghaire spring to mind as two lost monuments. There's a standing stone inside the porch of the Norman church next to St Patrick's Cathedral, which I entirely forgot about!
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7720 posts

Nov 16, 2006, 13:49
FourWinds wrote:
There's a standing stone inside the porch of the Norman church next to St Patrick's Cathedral, which I entirely forgot about!

I said it was a rubbish book.

If you're going to do this, do it properly or don't bother.

Tsk!
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Nov 16, 2006, 15:01
Vybik Jon wrote:
If you're going to do this, do it properly or don't bother.

If I didn't know better I'd say it was a cynical ploy to get people to buy the second edition :-)
CianMcLiam
CianMcLiam
1067 posts

Nov 16, 2006, 16:09
Since the next book is on Waterford, you might be interested in an event coming up in Waterford:

Archaeology in County Waterford
Saturday 25 November 2006

A Public Archaeology Day in Lawlor's Hotel and Dungarvan Castle

The Heritage Council sent me an email with a link to this: http://www.heritagecouncil.ie/events/archaeology_waterford.pdf
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index